Virandavan widows: SC notice to UP, Bengal, OdishaJuly 23rd, 2012 - 10:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 23 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday issued notice to West Bengal, Odisha and Uttar Pradesh on the plight of widows leading a miserable life in the holy city of Vrindavan in Uttar Pradesh after being abandoned by their kin.
While issuing the notice, the apex court bench of Justice D.K. Jain and Justice Anil R. Dave said the issue of the pitiable condition of widows in Vrindavan was very complex and it could not be solved by the court alone.
The judges noted that there were schemes for the rehabilitation of widows and regretted that their benefits were not reaching them. “It is very unfortunate, we are sorry to say there may be touts working there.”
The court would next hear the matter July 30. It issued notice to the Uttar Pradesh government afresh after it failed to respond to an earlier notice.
The apex court May 9 had set up a seven-member committee with a mandate to go into the socio-economic condition of the widows. It was hearing a public interest litigation on their plight.
The court had set up the committee while accepting the suggestions by the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA).
The court directed the committee to find out if the widows had any property belonging to them in the places from they had come from or if there was any property belonging to their late husbands.
The NALSA suggested building temporary shelters to which the seven-member committee may guide the homeless during the process of enumeration.
- Apex court sets up panel on Vrindavan widows - May 09, 2012
- Supreme Court comes to rescue of Vrindavan widows - Aug 03, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh ignoring Vrindavan widows: SC - Jul 30, 2012
- Sulabh disburses monthly aid to Vrindavan widows - Aug 22, 2012
- Apex court mulling total ban on plastic - May 07, 2012
- Gilani's seven minutes before apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Supreme Court declines to hear Bhatta-Parsaul probe plea - May 30, 2011
- Give Mullaperiyar report to Kerala, Tamil Nadu: Apex court - May 04, 2012
- Apex court seeks Uttar Pradesh view on poll quota ruling (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Lucknow custodial death: Supreme Court favours independent probe - Jul 08, 2011
- Apex court challenge the reservation in Uttar Pradesh poll - Jun 07, 2012
- Government wants Andhra mine iron ore sale ban till CBI probe - May 03, 2011
- AFTER 1 )Krishna land now an urban disaster (Letter from Mathura) - Aug 12, 2012
- Supreme Court notice to centre, UP (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Italian marines' plea: SC notice to centre, Kerala - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: anil, apex, apex court, court bench, economic condition, holy city, homeless, jain, mandate, member committee, miserable life, nalsa, New Delhi, odisha, plight, public interest litigation, uttar pradesh government, vrindavan, west bengal, widows