Violent protests rock Bihar for third dayJune 3rd, 2012 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 3 (IANS) Widespread violent protests rocked Bihar for the third consecutive day Sunday over the killing of Ranvir Sena chief Brahmeshwar Singh ‘Mukhiya’.
Protestors indulged in violence and arson in several districts including Arwal, Jehenabad, Lakhisarai, Gaya and Aurangabad.
Supporters of Ranvir Sena, an outlawed upper caste vigilante group, blocked roads in Arwal, Jehenabad and Aurangabad districts, police said. “They attacked vehicles, clashed with police and forced shops and markets to close down,” police officials in Arwal and Jehenabad said.
According to a railway official, protestors blocked tracks at the Jehenabad railway station and disrupted train services.
A ruling Janata Dal-United legislator, Anuj Kumar Sinha, was attacked and his car was damaged in Jehenabad while he was on his way to Gaya. “He was forced to return to Patna due to violence and arson,” a police official said.
Shops in Barahia in Lakhisarai and Konch Bazaar in Gaya were forced to shutdown. Protestors also attacked vehicles and policemen in these areas, police said.
Violence was also reported from Aurangabad, according to officials.
Unidentified gunmen killed Brahmeshwar Singh Friday in Ara town of Bhojpur district, triggering attacks by his supporters on police vehicles and government offices in Ara.
Violence also erupted Saturday during the funeral procession of the Ranvir Sena chief in Patna. After the procession entered Patna for the cremation, Singh’s supporters set afire a police outpost, and attacked police personnel and mediapersons, police said.
- Thousands join Ranvir Sena chief's funeral - Jun 02, 2012
- Ranvir Sena chief killed, curfew imposed on Bihar town (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Violence during Ranvir Sena chief's funeral (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Bihar fears revenge attack after Ranvir Sena chief's killing - Jun 07, 2012
- Ranvir Sena chief shot dead; Bihar put on alert (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Seven held in Ranvir Sena chief killing case (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Close aide of legislator arrested in Ranvir Sena chief's killing - Jun 06, 2012
- Bihar officials asked to explain Dalit hostel attack - Jul 25, 2012
- Two legislators linked to Ranvir Sena chief murder? - Jun 08, 2012
- Chargesheet filed over Ranvir Sena chief murder - Aug 28, 2012
- CBI probe recommended in Ranvir Sena chief killing - Jun 06, 2012
- Another arrest in Ranvir Sena chief murder case - Aug 31, 2012
- Maoists hoist black flags in Bihar - Aug 15, 2012
- Protests in Bihar against acquittal of massacre accused - Apr 17, 2012
- Strike hits normal life in parts of Bihar - May 22, 2012
Tags: arson, aurangabad, bihar, cremation, funeral procession, gaya, police official, police officials, police outpost, police vehicles, protestors, railway official, railway station, ranvir sena, sena chief, sinha, train services, unidentified gunmen, upper caste, violent protests