Violent protests in Ghaziabad after police gun down robbers (Lead)March 4th, 2009 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, March 4 (IANS) An angry mob went on the rampage here Wednesday, damaging a police post, over a dozen vehicles and critically injuring two policemen after two men were gunned down by the police allegedly for robbing a man.
Residents of Ghaziabad set on fire the police post outside the New Bus Stand, burnt two police vehicles and 12 buses in the evening to protest the killing of the two men, said Superintendent of Police (traffic) Anil Kumar.
He said two police constables, identified as Satish Chandra and Vipin Kumar, were critically injured in the violence.
Two youths who robbed and beat up a victim in Ghaziabad town, adjacent to the capital, early Wednesday were killed by a police squad within hours, but two others escaped with the loot, an official said.
Superintendent of Police Anant Dev told IANS that the robbers were shot dead in Indirapuram locality around 4.30 a.m.
He said four criminals travelling in a Qualis car seriously injured a man and robbed him about 1.30 a.m. They then dumped the unconscious man near Haj House in Sahibabad.
When the victim, identified as Naushad, regained consciousness, he dragged himself to the main road and was spotted by a police patrol vehicle.
On the basis of Naushad’s complaint, the police chased the criminals and managed to gun down two of them. The others managed to escape with the money they had stolen from Naushad. Dev said two pistols and a knife were recovered from the Qualis.
the police said the two robbers have been identified as Salim and Feroz of Islamabad locality in Ghaziabad.
- Police gun down two robbers in Ghaziabad - Mar 04, 2009
- Violent protests erupt in Ghaziabad after police gun down robbers(Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2009
- Ghaziabad policemen suspended for killing 'robbers' - Mar 05, 2009
- Professor critically wounded in Ghaziabad - Aug 21, 2012
- Tata Motors recovery agent shot, robbed - Oct 27, 2010
- Man robbed at Noida mall, two hurt in shootout - Aug 06, 2012
- Two robbers kill woman and daughter, one held - Oct 13, 2011
- Bank robber shoots himself in the foot - Jan 27, 2012
- Father, son arrested for four murders - Jan 17, 2012
- Rs.3 lakh snatched from woman in Ghaziabad - Jun 08, 2012
- Shop staff looted of Rs.18 lakh in Ghaziabad - Jan 11, 2010
- Four held for over 300 robberies - Aug 15, 2010
- Three killed, four hurt in road accident - Aug 03, 2012
- Two bank robbers killed in Jharkhand gun battle - Feb 10, 2011
- Police chase in Brazil ends with six suspects dead - Mar 27, 2012