Violence rages in Assam, death toll 25 (Second Lead)July 24th, 2012 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, July 24 (IANS) Security forces Tuesday shot dead four miscreants in Assam, taking the death toll in communal violence raging in two districts to 25, authorities said.
An indefinite curfew remains in force in both Kokrajhar and Chirang districts.
Inspector General of Polkice S.N. Singh told IANS that 16 people had been killed in Kokrajhar district since July 19, when the trouble erupted.
Five were were killed in Chirang district. “Four miscreants were gunned down by police in Kokrajhar today, taking the total death toll to 25,” the officer said.
He said the situation in the region was tense, and added that additional security forces had arrived in the two districts.
According to official sources, the violence started after gunmen attacked two student leaders in Magurbari Thursday. Following this, four former Bodo militants were shot dead Friday.
The violence has also spread to Dhubri district bordering Bangladesh. Police opened blank fire Tuesday to contain unrest.
In Dhubri, the administration has clamped curfew in some sensitive areas including Gouripur, Golakganj, Bilasipara and Chapar.
More than 40,000 people have abandoned their homes and taken shelter in relief camps set up by the district administration.
Assam’s Parliamentary Affairs Minister Nilamoni Sen Deka and Revenue Minister Prithibi Majhi were deputed by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to visit the troubled spots.
Director General of Police Jayanta Narayan Choudhury reviewed the security scenario with the police officials.
The government Monday issued shoot-at-sight orders in Kokrajhar.
Railway officials said the running of at least 30 trains in the state had been severely affected. All inbound and outbound trains were halted at various stations between Guwahati to Alipurduar.
- Assam burns, 32 dead, thousands homeless (Night Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam toll now 18, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam ministers rush to violence-hit Kokrajhar - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam ministers in Kokrajhar, 19 dead (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Fresh violence in Kokrajhar, three killed - Aug 07, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- Fresh violence rocks Assam's Kokrajhar, Dhubri - Aug 26, 2012
- Fresh violence rocks Chirang, five killed - Aug 25, 2012
- One injured, two missing in fresh attack in Assam - Aug 22, 2012
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: additional security, affairs minister, assam, bodo militants, chief minister, communal violence, curfew, deka, district administration, gogoi, majhi, miscreants, parliamentary affairs, police officials, railway officials, relief camps, revenue minister, sensitive areas, student leaders, violence rages