Violence on Holi leaves five injured in Gujarat villageMarch 23rd, 2008 - 5:31 pm ICT by admin
Palanpur (Gujarat), March 23(IANS) Holi revellers attacked members of a minority community in a village in Gujarat’s Banaskantha district, sparking violence that left five injured, the police said Sunday. One person has been arrested. A group of Muslims from the village, travelling by jeep, was stopped Saturday by an unruly mob of Holi revellers, said Banaskantha district police chief Vipul Agarwal.
The mob demanded money from the group, which included women, and threatened to splatter them with colours if they did not pay up. The incident took place on a road 15 km from here.
When the group refused to pay, the angry mob threw colours at them and damaged their vehicle, breaking its glass panes.
On reaching their village, the people in the jeep complained about the harassment, and a group of men from Mazagar raced back to the spot where the incident took place.
People from a nearby Madasar village attacked them with sticks and stones, Agarwal said, adding that five people were injured in the clash.
One person has been arrested and heavy security has been put in place in Mazagar village to prevent any fresh violence, said Deputy Superintendent of Police Mayursinh Chavda.
“We are looking for people involved in the violent attack,” Chavda said.
The injured were admitted to a hospital and were identified as Maulvi Sajjidvali, Usmanbhai, Ayubbhai, Abdul Rashid and Abbasbhai.
- Five injured in Holi clash at Gujarat village - Mar 23, 2008
- Driver burnt alive by angry mob in Bihar - Apr 26, 2012
- Odisha cop killed, four injured in mob attack - Aug 12, 2012
- 11 hurt in accident during Goa's carnival parade - Mar 09, 2011
- Holi splashes its colours on India (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2010
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Intro Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- Two dead in Mumbai protests against Myanmar killings (Fourth Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Assam forest ranger rescues leopard, gets injured - Jul 26, 2011
- Where Holi goes on for 50 days - Mar 07, 2012
- Seven electrocuted to death in Jharkhand - Apr 13, 2012
- 11 injured in accident during Goa's carnival parade (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Andhra town - Mar 30, 2012
- Six dead, eight injured in Gujarat accident - Feb 09, 2011
- Two killed in Kashmir firing, toll rises to 57 (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Gujarat BJP protests against fuel price hike - Jun 26, 2010