Violence in Orissa industrial hub over Tata Steel plantJune 26th, 2008 - 4:22 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 26 (IANS) Tension gripped the Kalinga Nagar industrial complex in Orissa’s Jajpur district Thursday after tribals chased away supporters of the proposed six million tonne Tata Steel plant and set their vehicles on fire, police said. About 200 villagers supporting the establishment of the steel plant in Kalinga Nagar, about 120 km from here, had gone to perform a religious ritual Wednesday to re-start the construction of a boundary wall that was stopped after violent protests erupted two and half years ago.
However, they were chased away by as many as 300 tribals wielding bows and arrows. The tribals also set on fire seven motorcycles the villagers had left behind, police said.
Officials said hundreds of policemen have been deployed in the region to maintain law and order.
On Jan 2, 2006, at least 14 people, including 13 tribesmen, died and many were injured when police opened fire on hundreds of tribal agitators in the Kalinga Nagar industrial complex.
The tribals had clashed with police to protest against the construction of a boundary wall by Tata Steel. They had blocked the nearby highway for more than a year since the day of the firing and lifted it following an order by the Orissa High Court.
Kalinga Nagar is a 12,000-acre complex where several companies propose to set up projects. The complex has about 10 industrial units and steel plants. Eight of them have already started production.
- Four injured in clashes with police in Orissa - Mar 30, 2010
- Road work begins in Orissa industrial hub opposed by tribals - Mar 29, 2010
- Tribals clash with police in Orissa's Kalinga Nagar - Jan 19, 2010
- Tribals stage protest against Tata Steel project in Orissa - Jan 02, 2009
- Tribals hold rally to mark killings - Jan 02, 2010
- Larsen and Toubro bags Rs.1,610 orders in Q1 - Jun 24, 2011
- Tribals protest activist's murder in Orissa's industrial hub - May 03, 2008
- Search on for missing Tata Steel engineer - Sep 25, 2010
- Villagers ask for body of a victim killed in Kalinganagar police clash - May 14, 2010
- Orissa provides jobs to kin of police firing victims - Jun 24, 2008
- Protest against land acquisition in Jharkhand turns violent - Jul 05, 2012
- Anti-Posco protests continue; supporters want demands met (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Tata Steel's Kalinganagar plant gets first consignment - Feb 22, 2010
- Tata Steel to pay Rs.27 crore to villagers - Mar 21, 2012
- Posco work hit, villagers want local involvement - Jun 27, 2011