Villagers say mysterious disease killing peopleAugust 22nd, 2008 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 22 (IANS) Villagers in Bihar’s East Champaran district Friday claimed that eight people have died in the past 10 days of a disease that doctors have been unable to diagnose.Residents of Akauna village near Motihari town, about 200 km from here, claimed that the men who died were part of a group of 18 labourers who had returned from Nagaland, where they worked in forests.
The labourers had been complaining of severe body ache, high fever and weakness since their return.
Jitendra Rai, a villager, said: “Eight of the 18 who returned from Kohima died one by one in the last 10 days.”
Mobin Hashmi, the doctor who treated the men, said he had failed to diagnose the disease they were suffering from and failed to understand the cause of the deaths.
“It appears to be the result of some mysterious communicable disease,” Hashmi said.
“The government should take it seriously because the disease may spread fast and is likely to claim more lives if preventive measures are not initiated soon. The government should send a team of doctors to treat the others who are suspected to be infected,” he added.
Dharmdev Singh, the district civil surgeon, said he had no information about the deaths from the local administration.
- Five more children die of mystery disease in Bihar - Jun 20, 2011
- Two suspected criminals lynched in Bihar - Apr 27, 2011
- Six children burnt to death in Bihar - Nov 24, 2011
- In encephalitis-hit Bihar, parents pray to god to save their kids - Jun 29, 2012
- Mystery disease kills three more in Bihar (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Mystery disease kills eight more in Bihar (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 7 more in Bihar, death toll 150 (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Extortion threats force Bihar doctor couple to leave government service - Sep 06, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 4 more in Bihar, toll mounts to 147 - Jun 15, 2012
- Woman abducted from Bihar station - Jul 18, 2012
- MSF battles kala azar in Bihar - Jul 17, 2012
- Family of KBC Rs.5 crore winner fears his abduction - Oct 30, 2011
- Seven die after eating poisonous food in Bihar - May 14, 2012
- Bihar food poisoning kills nine (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Silicosis-affected workers die silent death in Delhi - Sep 09, 2012