Villagers lynch suspected thief in Uttar PradeshJuly 17th, 2010 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 17 (IANS) Villagers on patrol duty beat a youth to death with iron rods, sticks and bricks after they caught him sneaking into a house in Uttar Pradesh’s Bareilly district, police said Saturday.
Mukesh Kumar, 21, was lynched late Friday in Niyamatpur village, about 300 km from here.
“A group of villagers, who were on patrolling, caught Mukesh sneaking into the house of a trader. He died after the assault,” police Inspector Nisar Hussain told reporters in Bareilly.
“Preliminary investigations reveal that four residents of the village were involved in assaulting Mukesh. A case has been registered against the four who are absconding,” said Hussain.
Since February this year, this is the sixth lynching incident reported in Uttar Pradesh.
The other five incidents took place in Moradabad Feb 19 and April 17, Meerut April 20, Lucknow May 10 and Muzaffarnagar June 22.
- Thief lynched in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 21, 2010
- Youth lynched for murdering shopkeeper - Jun 22, 2010
- Villagers lynch criminal - Nov 09, 2010
- Criminal lynched by villagers - Mar 05, 2011
- Two criminals lynched in Uttar Pradesh - May 27, 2011
- Man lynched after he tried to rape teen - May 10, 2010
- Criminal lynched in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 09, 2011
- Criminal lynched in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 18, 2010
- Man lynched in Uttar Pradesh village - Jan 03, 2011
- Villagers lynch two dacoits - Jul 26, 2011
- Suspected burglar lynched in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 20, 2010
- Criminal lynched in Uttar Pradesh village - Jan 08, 2010
- UP accident kills four - Jun 05, 2012
- 2 cops accused of assaulting lady officer surrender - Sep 24, 2010
- Man kills woman, lynched by mob - Oct 27, 2011
Tags: assault police, bareilly district, district police, hussain, investigations, iron rods, july 17, meerut, moradabad, mukesh kumar, muzaffarnagar, nisar, police inspector, sticks and bricks, thief