Villagers kill marauding leopard in Madhya PradeshJanuary 3rd, 2009 - 7:01 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Jan 3 (IANS) Villagers in Dhar district of Madhya Pradesh killed a leopard, which attacked and injured at least six people including a woman in the past few days, officials said Saturday. “The incident occurred Friday in Tarned village, six km from Dhar district headquarters, where the villagers attacked the wild cat with sticks and other weapons after it attacked and injured two persons critically,” said Divisional Forest Officer (DFO) Raghvendra Shrivastava.
The DFO said the wild cat died on the spot before a forest department team, equipped with dart guns and sedatives, could reach the village.
“The villagers were too furious and forest officials present on the occasion were unable to dissuade them from attacking the leopard,” he said, adding the leopard had attacked and injured five to six people in the past two to three days.
“Apart from the wounds from sticks, the doctors also found some pellets in the leopard’s body, indicating that a bullet was also fired by the villagers,” Shrivastava said, citing the post mortem report.
It is presumed that lack of water and prey drove the leopard into the village from the adjoining jungles of Mandav, Dhamnod and Tanda that have 12 to 14 leopards.
- Search on for wild cats in Madhya Pradesh village - Jan 04, 2009
- Assam forest ranger rescues leopard, gets injured - Jul 26, 2011
- Manhunt launched for leopard killers in Orissa - Jan 14, 2011
- Leopard mauls six in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 04, 2010
- Leopard mauls six in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 25, 2010
- Leopard strays into Nashik colony, attacks three - Mar 26, 2012
- Officials face villagers' wrath over leopard attacks - Nov 09, 2011
- Leopard enters Hema Malini's bungalow, vanishes (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Villagers kill stray leopard in Assam - Feb 29, 2012
- Another leopard becomes victim of human fury - Jan 13, 2011
- Leopard attacks on humans on rise in Himachal - Mar 01, 2010
- Leopard strays into Shimla, condition critical (Lead) - Feb 25, 2010
- Villagers vent leopard attack ire on forest officials - Apr 09, 2011
- Two injured in Guwahati leopard attack - Jan 27, 2012
- Leopard escapes from enclosure, injures two people - Mar 28, 2010