Villagers in Jharkhand kill 12 dacoits (Lead)March 19th, 2009 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, March 19 (IANS) Villagers lynched four dacoits and burnt alive eight others in Jharkhand’s Pakur district, police said Thursday.
The dacoits attacked Sundar Pahari village Wednesday night and looted several houses. As they were fleeing, the villagers managed to catch 12 of them, and beat to death four of them while the other eight were burnt alive, superintendent of police Mohammad Nehal told IANS.
According to the police, the dacoits, armed with country-made guns and other weapons, first raided the house of Anil Gupta, looting jewellery and trying to molest the women in the house. After looting the house, they also fired in the air to create panic among the villagers.
Hearing the gun shots, the villagers, however, got together and surrounded the dacoits. Four of the dacoits were pelted with stones and beaten with sticks and died on the spot. The others attempted to hide in a house, but the angry villagers set it on fire, burning them alive.
Police reached the village, about 500 km from the state capital, Thursday morning and took the bodies in their possession. The corpses have been sent for post-mortem examination.
Police have also registered a case against unknown people for the murder of the dacoits.
- Jharkhand villagers kill 12 dacoits - Mar 19, 2009
- Villagers lynch two dacoits - Jul 26, 2011
- Dacoits kill five of family in UP - Aug 10, 2012
- Three robbers lynched in UP village - Sep 06, 2012
- Man surrenders after raping, murdering minor - Mar 13, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Tamil Nadu police on killings - Feb 24, 2012
- Four more rape cases, attack on women reported in UP - Jun 20, 2011
- Dacoit killed after robbery near Pune - Dec 01, 2010
- One killed, four injured in Bihar as SSB opens fire - May 26, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh's fifth rape case in a day (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Bangladeshi bandit killed in Tripura - Mar 29, 2012
- Day after clash, tension in Bharatpur continues - Sep 15, 2011
- Two Maoists lynched in Jharkhand (Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- Two Maoists among six killed in Jharkhand - Dec 08, 2011
- Ghaziabad shootout latest twist in mounting extortion trade - Nov 22, 2011