Village head killed near Gurgaon, one attacker lynchedJune 23rd, 2011 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon/Chandigarh, June 23 (IANS) Irate villagers in a village of Haryana’s Gurgaon district caught hold of a man, who had attacked and killed the village headman Thursday, and set him on fire, police said.
The attacker died from burn injuries later, police officials in Gurgaon said. He is yet to be identified, Joint Commissioner of Police Alok Mittal told IANS.
The incident took place at Hayatpur village near Manesar after 2 p.m., when three to four other men, led by main accused Rakesh, attacked and fired at the village headman, also named Rakesh.
The village headman was sitting at a vehicle service centre when he was attacked. On seeing the attackers, he ran towards the field but they chased him and shot him dead.
As the attackers were fleeing, villagers nabbed one of them and beat him up. They later poured petrol on him and set him on fire.
Police officials rushed to the spot and tried to save the attacker who had been set on fire. He was rushed to the Gurgaon general hospital where he succumbed to burn injuries.
Mittal said the killing followed a dispute between two groups of village residents.
The Haryana Police later announced a reward of Rs 50,000 to anyone helping in the arrest of the main accused, Rakesh, involved in the killing of the village headman.
Mittal said that the police have constituted 10 teams to nab him as well as the two other people who had attacked the village headman.
Tension prevailed in the village following the incident. The police have deployed additional personnel at Hayatpur village to maintain law and order.
Villagers later blocked the road to Manesar to protest alleged police inaction in the matter.
They alleged that police failed to take any action against the attackers after both groups had clashed recently which Mittal denied.
- No arrest in village headman killing - Jun 24, 2011
- Haryana orders judicial probe into Gurgaon village killings - Jun 28, 2011
- SIT to probe fresh violence in Maruti Manesar plant (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Teenager kills, burns parents in Haryana - May 14, 2012
- One killed in fire at Maruti car plant - Jul 19, 2012
- Dacoits kill five of family in UP - Aug 10, 2012
- 'Police did not intervene in July 18 violence' - Jul 31, 2012
- Four held for burning to death Orissa executive - Mar 04, 2011
- Maruti violence may be planned: cops - Jul 21, 2012
- Police officer shoots self, dies - May 09, 2012
- Fire at Maruti plant - Jul 18, 2012
- 'Lockout to continue in Maruti's Manesar plant' - Jul 30, 2012
- Mahapanchayat demands CBI probe into Maruti violence - Jul 23, 2012
- SIT to probe Maruti's fresh violence - Jul 19, 2012
- SHOs now responsible for witness' security in Haryana - May 20, 2012
Tags: attacker, attackers, chandigarh, commissioner of police, fire police, general hospital, gurgaon district, haryana police, june 23, law and order, manesar, police inaction, police officials, rs 50, tension, village headman, village residents