Vikas enters final of Olympic boxing test event, Dinesh claims bronzeNovember 27th, 2011 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 27 (IANS) Vikas Krishan carried his good form from the AIBA World Championships to the Olympic boxing test event in London by entering the final of the 69 kg category.
Vikas defeated Azerbaijan boxer Ismet Eynullayev 9:6 in the semifinal at the London’s Excel Centre.
Dinesh Kumar (81kg) had to settle for a bronze after losing his last four bout against Yamaguchi Florentino of Brazil.
Vikas, who bagged a bronze medal at the World Championships along with an Olympic quota, was at his destructive best as he devoured his opponent with as much brains as brawn.
Vikas, who got a bye in the quarters, started cautiously with the intent of measuring his opponent first. The score was knotted at two all at the end of the first round . In the second, the Haryana boxer opened his game and exploited his opponents’ weakness, scoring three points as opposed to Ismet’s one.
Ismet received a warning in the third round and that helped the Indian seal the bout. He will lock horns with Qiong Maimaitituersun of China in the summit clash.
Dinesh lost but the light heavy weight boxer did not go down without a fight. The 23- year-old provided a brilliant account of his hard hitting and accurate punches in a bout that saw him make a stunning recovery. Dinesh was down a four point deficit after the first two rounds, but he came back strongly in the third to even things out. After the nine minutes of swashbuckling action the scores were level at 18 all. But unfortunately Dinesh lost to Florentino on count back (50:57).
- Wrist injury forces Vikas to withdraw from Olympic test event final - Nov 28, 2011
- Indian boxer Vikas pulls out of final - Nov 28, 2011
- Tricky draw for Indian boxers, Vikas gets a bye - Jul 28, 2012
- Indian boxers need to punch with more meat - Aug 18, 2012
- Olympics: Indian boxer Sangwan loses a bout he had 'won' - Jul 30, 2012
- Sangwan loses controversial bout, India lodges complaint (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Vikas Krishan loses a bout he won five hours earlier (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Vijender knocked out of World Boxing Championships - Oct 01, 2011
- Olympic boxing: Vikas Krishan enters 69 kg quarterfinal - Aug 04, 2012
- World boxing meet: Devendro, Manoj make it to London Olympics - Oct 04, 2011
- CAS rejects India's appeal on Vikas Krishan - Aug 06, 2012
- Indian boxers to compete in test event for London Olympics - Nov 22, 2011
- Indian boxer Shiva wins silver in Czech Grand Prix - Mar 25, 2012
- Olympics: India to protest AIBA's decision on Vikas - Aug 04, 2012
- President's Cup: Boxer Devendro loses final to settle for silver - May 07, 2012
Tags: brains, bronze medal, dinesh kumar, florentino, heavy weight, horns, ismet, krishan, New Delhi, olympic boxing, opponent, point deficit, punches, quota, stunning recovery, summit clash, test event, weight boxer, world championships, yamaguchi