Vijender will get a hero’s welcome: motherAugust 22nd, 2008 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS
Bhiwani, Aug 22 (IANS) Even in his semi-final loss, Haryana’s Bhiwani town Friday celebrated the bronze medal won by boxer Vijender Kumar. But the celebrations were subdued compared to Wednesday when he won his quarterfinal round.”We will give him a hero’s welcome when he returns here. He has made the nation proud by winning the bronze medal in the Olympics. He will definitely win gold in the Commonwealth Games,” Vijender’s mother Krishna said, even as his loss in the semi-final seemed to have disappointed her a little.
“I will make him stronger for next time. We will serve him kheer and churma,” she added.
Vijender’s relatives, friends, fellow boxers and hundreds of others who gathered at his residence in Kaluwas village near here Friday to witness his semi-final bout were disappointed after he went down 5-8 to Cuban’s Emilio Carlos.
A special projection screen had been put up outside Vijender’s residence under a tent to enable people to watch the match.
School and college students in this town had Friday missed classes to view the boxing match in the afternoon.
“He is our hero even in this loss. This is India’s first medal in boxing. We are proud of him,” Vijender’s sisters Sangeeta and Poonam said.
Relatives still distributed sweets, which had been brought in anticipation of a victory.
Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, who too watched the match, said he was not disappointed.
“He has fought and done well. We should not be disappointed. The boxers from Bhiwani have made the country proud. We will open a boxing academy in Bhiwani to encourage more youngsters to take to the sport,” Hooda said.
- Outlook on boxing changed after Beijing bronze: Vijender - Jun 28, 2012
- Olympics boxing: India's Vijender knocked out (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Mary Kom in semis, Vijender suffers heartbreaking loss (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- World Boxing Championships: Krishan settles for bronze - Oct 08, 2011
- PM congratulates Olympic medallist Mary Kom - Aug 08, 2012
- Only an Asian Games gold will erase CWG memories: Vijender - Oct 18, 2010
- CWG boxing: Vijender knocked out; Suranjoy, Manoj in finals (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- Olympics: Shooter Vijay Kumar wins silver for India (India Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Boxer Vikas promises a fearless show in London - Jul 21, 2012
- CWG boxing: Amandeep, Jai, Dilbagh lose in semis, get bronze - Oct 11, 2010
- Mary creates history, Devendro misses out (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender wins gold, India finish with nine medals (Seond Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom secures historic bronze (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender within sniffing distance of a medal (Overall Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Indian boxer Shiva wins silver in Czech Grand Prix - Mar 25, 2012