Vijender in quarters of Olympic qualifierApril 6th, 2012 - 11:50 pm ICT by IANS
Astana (Kazakhstan), April 6 (IANS) Indian boxer Vijender Singh eased into the 75 kg quarterfinals of the Asian Olympic qualifying event here Friday.
Vijender outpunched Ishak Waez of Syria 11:5.
The former World No.1 made an aggressive start. The opening three minutes of play saw him take the upper hand with his swift footwork and sharp blows. He would hit and withdraw quickly, not giving his opponent a chance to counter attack.
The Indian made good use of his experience, not allowing Ishak to play his natural game.
He was leading 5:1 by the end of the opening three minutes.
In the second round, the Asian Games gold medallist almost knocked the lights out of the Syrian with a massive uppercut. Vijender went on to win the second round 4:2 and the bout.
The 26 year old is now one win away from securing an Olympic berth. In the quarterfinals Sunday, he meets 2011 Asian Championship silver medallist Chuluuntumur Tumurkhyag of Mongolia.
- Manpreet in quarters of Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Boxer Vijender qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 08, 2012
- Indian boxer Thapa in quarters of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 07, 2012
- Shiva, Sangwan secure London Olympics berth (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Shiva Thapa youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Thapa in quarters, Suranjoy out of Olympic qualifiers (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- World Boxing meet: Vikas lone Indian to reach semis - Oct 06, 2011
- Boxer Shiva enters semis of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 09, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Vijender in second round - Jul 29, 2012
- Vijender in semifinals of Arafura Games - May 10, 2011
- Shiva youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics - Apr 11, 2012
- Boxers Shiva, Sangwan strike gold at Olympic qualifier - Apr 12, 2012
- Nine Indian boxers in Asian Confederation Boxing - Aug 07, 2011
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender wins gold, India finish with nine medals (Seond Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: asian championship, asian games, astana kazakhstan, boxer, footwork, games gold, gold medallist, ishak, kg, mongolia, olympic berth, olympic qualifier, opponent, quarterfinals, quarters, silver medallist, syria, three minutes, uppercut, waez