Vigilance Bureau custody for lawyer in bribery ‘deal’April 25th, 2009 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
Mohali (Punjab), April 25 (IANS) A court here Saturday sent a lawyer arrested for acting as the middleman in an alleged bribery deal with a police officer to two day’s custody of the Vigilance Bureau.
According to officials, Vigilance Bureau sleuths Friday evening caught lawyer Neeraj Chaudhary red-handed in Chandigarh while accepting Rs.200,000 that was allegedly meant for Mohali’s Superintendent of Police (City) S.S. Gill in return for withdrawing a case against an NRI.
In his complaint, Australia-based NRI Davinder Singh, who belongs to Sohana village near Mohali town, 10 km from Chandigarh, said a case of abduction against him was registered with the Mohali police April 3. A whopping Rs.10 lakh (Rs.1 million) was demanded from him for withdrawing the case, with Chaudhary acting as the middleman in the deal, the NRI said.
Singh said he had already sent Rs.250,000 through Chaudhary but the case had not be withdrawn.
Vigilance Bureau officials laid a trap as Singh’s father went to Chaudhary Friday evening with another installment of Rs. 200,000 and arrested the lawyer while he was receiving the money.
- Power firm CA arrested for taking bribe - Feb 26, 2012
- Sukhbir Badal demanded Rs.1 crore, says Punjab bureaucrat - Jan 17, 2012
- One held for black marketing India-Pakistan match tickets - Mar 27, 2011
- Himachal official convicted in graft case - Jun 28, 2011
- Chandigarh official sent to judicial remand - Dec 02, 2010
- Richie rich: Punjab's millionaire woman cop in CBI net - Aug 03, 2011
- Three held for black marketing India-Pakistan match tickets (Lead) - Mar 27, 2011
- CBI remand for Punjab woman police officer - Jul 25, 2011
- Court frames charges against former narcotics bureau official - Nov 23, 2010
- Excise official, middleman sent to day's CBI custody - Jan 16, 2012
- Everyone wants slice of Mohali pie, eight blackmarketeers held - Mar 28, 2011
- Punjab agriculture minister gets one year jail - May 05, 2012
- Woman official among two held for accepting bribe - Mar 06, 2010
- Top Punjab government functionary arrested for graft (Second Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Badal, family acquitted in disproportionate assets case - Oct 01, 2010