Video shows Israeli soldier shooting at arrested manJuly 21st, 2008 - 3:17 am ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, July 21 (DPA) Footage released Sunday by a rights group showed an Israeli soldier firing what appeared at be a rubber coated bullet at a handcuffed Palestinian who was arrested during a protest. The video, published by the Israeli organization B’tselem, was filmed July 7 by a 14-year-old Palestinian school girl during a demonstration in the West Bank village of Nil’in against the building of Israel’s separation barrier.
In the clip, the man, Ashraf Abu Rahma, aged 27, is seen standing, blindfolded and handcuffed, next to a military jeep. A soldier takes aim, checks it twice, and then apparently fires at the Palestinian’s foot from a very close distance.
Abu Rahma said he suffered a light injury to his toe.
According to B’tselem, an officer seen holding Abu Rahma’s hand while he was injured was a lieutenant colonel, and the organization demanded an investigation be opened into his role and that the soldier who fired “be brought to justice”.
“The IDF rules of conduct clearly forbid any harm against those in its custody and are committed to human dignity and safety of all detainees,” the Israeli military said in a statement, referring to itself by its initials.
Major Avital Leibovitz, a military spokeswoman, told DPA that the military advocate general opened an investigation into the incident.
“But there are questions about the edited parts,” Leibovitz said, referring to the point in the amateur clip, right after the shooting, where there is a stoppage. The clip then continues what appears to be a few moments later with Abu Rahma laying on the ground.
B’tselem’s spokeswoman Sarit Michaeli said the girl had accidentally stopped filming when she was startled by the gunshot and resumed when she became aware of she had pressed the stop button.
Palestinians, together with Israeli and foreign activists, protest weekly in the village Nil’in against the barrier, which they say will separate the residents from much of their agricultural land.
- Israeli soldier who shot at handcuffed Palestinian arrested (Lead) - Jul 21, 2008
- Israeli soldier filmed humiliating female Palestinian detainee on video - Oct 06, 2010
- Israel's offensive in Gaza killed 252 children - Sep 09, 2009
- 3 injured, 7 arrested in clashes between Israeli troops and anti-wall protesters in West Bank - Jul 23, 2011
- Soldiers open fire at Arab-Israeli man in West Bank checkpoint - Jan 21, 2011
- Israel begins dismantling section of West Bank barrier - Jun 26, 2011
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- At least 10 people killed, more than 100 injured in clashes along Israel's borders - May 15, 2011
- Israel Navy intercepts Gaza-bound aid vessels - Nov 04, 2011
- Israeli soldiers arrest senior Hamas operative in the West Bank - Jan 07, 2011
- Seven mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip into Israel - Dec 21, 2010
- Israel considers referendum on peace deal with Palestinians - Sep 22, 2010
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israeli army demolishes West Bank mosque - Oct 11, 2011