Vice President, PM condole Lakshmi Sehgal’s deathJuly 23rd, 2012 - 3:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 23 (IANS) Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday condoled the death of veteran freedom fighter Lakshmi Sehgal, calling her “an icon of selfless service” and terming her demise as “a tremendous loss to the nation”.
“I am deeply grieved to learn about the sad demise of noted freedom fighter, tireless campaigner for women’s rights and social causes, Captain Lakshmi Sehgal,” Ansari said in his message.
“Captain Lakshmi Sahgal represents the pinnacle of sacrifice and struggle for the country, and for the rights of the downtrodden and women Her demise is a tremendous loss to the nation,” he added.
The prime minister, in his message, said: “In the passing away of Shrimati Lakshmi Sehgal the nation has lost an icon of liberal values and selfless service.”
Sehgal, a close associate of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose was the first head of the women’s wing of the Azad Hind Fauj, died around 11.20 a.m. Monday at a private hospital in Kanpur, her family said. She was 97.
She was in coma for the past three days after suffering a massive heart attack. The family announced that Sehgal had donated her body for medical research.
Sehghal, herself a doctor, was working at her clinic in Civil Lines area in Kanpur a day before she suffered a heart attack. Sehgal was the Left candidate in the 2002 presidential election, when she lost to A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
- Veteran freedom fighter Lakshmi Sehgal dead (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Lakshmi Sehgal critical after brain stroke - Jul 20, 2012
- Lakshmi Sehgal's health deteriorates - Jul 21, 2012
- Tripura CM condoles Lakshmi Sehgal's death - Jul 23, 2012
- Netaji's family condoles Sehgal's demise - Jul 23, 2012
- Lakshmi Sehgal was courageous, compassionate: CPI-M - Jul 23, 2012
- Patil, Ansari condole freedom fighter's death - Oct 27, 2010
- I had to put Nehru in right perspective: Author-niece (With Image) - Nov 07, 2010
- A book case of life stories, dramas and inspiration (IANS Books This Week) - May 05, 2011
- President, PM condole death of Bhimsen Joshi - Jan 24, 2011
- President, Vice President condole demise of Pandit Bhimsen Joshi - Jan 24, 2011
- Meira Kumar mourns former speaker Bali Ram Bhagat's death - Jan 02, 2011
- President, vice president, PM condole Dev Anand's death - Dec 04, 2011
- This is not the India we fought for, say freedom fighters - Aug 15, 2011
- Karunakaran's death a great loss: Congress - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: abdul kalam, campaigner, condole, freedom fighter, hamid ansari, heart attack, lakshmi sahgal, lakshmi sehgal, liberal values, manmohan, manmohan singh, massive heart attack, netaji subhas chandra bose, presidential election, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, private hospital, sad demise, selfless service, subhas chandra bose