Vice Admiral Joshi to head navy’s sword armApril 16th, 2011 - 11:23 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 16 (IANS) Vice Admiral D.K. Joshi, who has commanded India’s lone aircraft carrier INS Viraat, has been named as the next commander-in-chief of the navy’s sword arm — the Mumbai-based Western Naval Command, defence ministry sources said here Saturday.
Joshi, who is at present the chief of the Integrated Defence Staff (IDS) headquarters here, will take over from incumbent Vice Admiral Sanjeev Bhasin at Mumbai after the latter’s retirement April 31.
His appointment to head the Western Naval Command came Friday night, sources said.
Joshi, who is tipped to be appointed the next navy chief after Admiral Nirmal Verma retires less than a year from now, had taken over as IDS chief Dec 31 last year.
The vice admiral has earlier served as the commander-in-chief of the Port Blair-based Andaman and Nicobar Command, a tri-services formation, and as the commander of the Mumbai-based Western Fleet of the Indian Navy.
- D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Admiral Joshi is new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Rear Admiral Shrikhande is IDS assistant chief (With Image) - Aug 23, 2012
- D.K. Joshi is new navy chief - Jun 05, 2012
- New chief of staff for Eastern Naval Command - May 02, 2011
- Vice Admiral Sinha takes over as IDS chief - Jul 04, 2011
- Vice Admiral Sinha named IDS chief - Jun 27, 2011
- Vice Admiral D.K. Joshi takes over as CISC - Dec 31, 2010
- India opens new naval base overlooking Malacca Strait - Jul 31, 2012
- INS Viraat team wins Western Fleet Regatta (With Images) - Jan 22, 2012
- Senior Indian Navy post upgraded - Apr 07, 2011
- Western Naval Command's base depot commissioned - Jul 10, 2012
- Indian Navy chief meets Myanmar president - Aug 26, 2011
- 'Many Adarsh-like encroachments in Mumbai' - Dec 01, 2010
- Ahead of naval war game, Antony reviews national security - Feb 06, 2012
Tags: aircraft carrier, andaman, bhasin, commander in chief, commander in chief of the navy, defence ministry, defence staff, fleet, friday night, indian navy, ins viraat, joshi, ministry sources, naval command, navy chief, New Delhi, port blair, retirement, sword arm, vice admiral