VHP threatens nationwide stirSeptember 7th, 2008 - 10:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 7 (IANS) Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Praveen Togadia Sunday threatened to launch nationwide stir if the killers of a Hindu leader and his four associates shot dead in Orissa Aug 23 were not arrested immediately. The VHP international general secretary demanded that a special bench be set up for hearing the case of murders of Swami Laxmananand Saraswati and his four disciples whose killings sparked off widespread communal violence in Orissa.
The police said that Maoists rebels were responsible for the killings. But blaming Christians for the murders, thousands of Hindus attacked Christian homes and churches in the state. Christian groups have repeatedly denied the charge.
Togadia, speaking at a meeting at Karol Bagh to pay tributes of the slain Hindu leader, alleged that the Orissa government was trying to shield murderers of Saraswati.
He said the government has not even identified the names of the four suspects arrested in the case.
Saraswati was a VHP leader and lived in Jalespata Ashram under Tumudibandh block in Kandhamal district of Orissa.
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Security beefed up at Kandhamal ashram after threats - Aug 21, 2010
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Togadia to visit Kandhamal despite ban - Mar 19, 2010
- Maoists blow up ambulance, five killed (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- Security tightened in Orissa for peaceful Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
- Protests in Orissa as Togadia barred from Kandhamal (Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Togadia released after trying to enter Kandhamal - Mar 20, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- VHP, Bajrang Dal activists protest ban on Togadia's visit to Kandhamal - Mar 20, 2010