VHP shutdown call gets mixed response in Uttar PradeshSeptember 8th, 2008 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 8 (IANS) A Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP)-sponsored shutdown in eastern Uttar Pradesh to protest the alleged attack on the rally of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Yogi Adityanath received mixed response Monday. The administration Monday closed down schools and colleges in the eastern districts, or Poorvanchal area, for three days in view of the prevailing tension after Sunday’s attack on the BJP leader’s rally in Azamgarh district that left one killed and three injured.
Adityanath’s convoy was attacked Sunday afternoon while he was returning from an “anti-terrorism Hindu awakening rally”.
The bandh has affected business and other activities in Gorakhpur, Azamgarh, Ghazipur, Balia, Mau, Basti and Maharajganj districts of the Porvanchal region, officials said.
A large number of police, with paramilitary forces, has been deployed in the area.
“Four companies of the Provincial Armed COnstabulary have been deployed in the district,” inspector-general of police, Gorakhpur Range, Pravin Singh, told IANS by phone.
“Educational institutions in the entire region have been closed for three days to avoid any untoward incident,” Commissioner of Gorakhpur divison P.K. Mohanti told IANS.
Office bearers of the VHP reached Gorakhpur Monday and met the MP. The Hindu group has called an indefinite shutdown in the eastern districts to protest the attack.
“Our Hindu leaders are on the hit list of anti-national elements and we have called for a bandh to show them how united we are,” senior VHP official Mahavir Prasad told reporters in Gorakhpur Monday.
- VHP shutdown over attack on BJP MP gets mixed response (Lead) - Sep 08, 2008
- Fresh Scheduled Tribes' quota in Uttar Pradesh house suggested (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Large turnout in UP second phase polls (Second Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh to vote in second round Saturday - Feb 10, 2012
- Voting in UP polls second phase begins - Feb 11, 2012
- Over 60 percent turnout in UP second phase poll (Third Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Polling gets off to brisk start in UP's second phase (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Team Anna begins anti-graft campaign in UP - Feb 08, 2012
- Second phase UP polls: 36 percent higher voting than 2007 - Feb 11, 2012
- BJP leader denies funding Ajmer blast - Mar 21, 2011
- Mayawati writes to PM, demands Purvanchal - Dec 13, 2009
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- Three more kids die of Japanese encephalitis, toll 332 - Sep 26, 2011
- Shutdown affects normal life in Assam - Aug 27, 2012
- 70 IAS officials transferred in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 13, 2012