Vettel breaks pole record in season finale, Sutil to start 8thNovember 27th, 2011 - 1:07 am ICT by IANS
Sao Paulo (Brazil), Nov 26 (IANS) Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel broke Nigel Mansell’s record of maximum pole positions in a year by topping the time sheets for the 15th time in the season at the Brazilian Grand Prix qualifyng here Saturday. Force India’s Adrian Sutil made it to the top-10 for the fourth time in a row.
Vettel’s time of 1 minute 11.918 seconds put him in the comfortable lead and he will share the front row with teammate Mark Webber for the seventh time in the season that concludes with the race Sunday. Webber clocked 1:12.099 to be just ahead of McLaren’s Jenson Button, who set 1:12.283 for third place on the grid.
Vettel, already crowned the World Champion for the second successive year, surpassed the record set by Mansell in the 1992 season.
Sutil was eighth fastest on 1:13.298, making his case again in front of the team which has not been able to decide on its drivers’ line-up.
With the impressive show here, Vettel also outpaced rookie teammate Paul di Resta for the 10th time in 19 races.
Di Resta missed the Q3 after being pipped by Mercedes’ Michael Schumacher for the 10th spot. The Scot recorded 1:13.584 in Q2 to line-up behind the seven-time World Champion, who did not set a time in the final session.
Force India, currently sixth in the Constructor’s Championship with 57 points, aim to retain their place by the end of the season finale.
- Vettel equals pole record in Abu Dhabi, Force India secure top-10 finish - Nov 12, 2011
- Di Resta, Sutil to start 11th and 12th in Italian Grand Prix - Sep 10, 2011
- Webber secures elusive win in Brazil, Force India end season on a high - Nov 28, 2011
- Vettel claims another pole, Sutil sneaks into 10th at European GP - Jun 25, 2011
- No points for Force India, Karthikeyan 21st at Turkish GP - May 08, 2011
- Belgian Grand Prix: Force India disappoint, Vettel secures pole - Aug 27, 2011
- Force India's Sutil and Di Resta 8th and 12th at the German GP qualifying (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Vettel takes pole for Indian GP, Karthikeyan penalised - Oct 29, 2011
- Webber claims pole, Di Resta 6th fastest at British GP - Jul 09, 2011
- Force India bags maiden Q3 position at Chinese Grand Prix - Apr 16, 2011
- Force India disappoint, Vettel wins Spanish Grand Prix - May 22, 2011
- Vettel takes pole, di Resta 10th in Bahrain - Apr 21, 2012
- German GP: Hulkenberg 5th fastest, di Resta 9th - Jul 21, 2012
- Sutil, di Resta 14th and 15th fastest in Monaco qualifying - May 28, 2011
- Hamilton takes maiden pole in Korea; di Resta, Sutil 9th and 10th - Oct 15, 2011
Tags: adrian sutil, constructor, final session, force india, jenson button, mark webber, michael schumacher, nigel mansell, pole positions, q3, red bull, resta, sao paulo brazil, scot, season finale, sebastian vettel, seventh time, teammate, time sheets, time world champion