Veteran broadcaster Ameen Sayani gets Padma ShriJanuary 26th, 2009 - 1:55 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 26 (IANS) Veteran broadcaster Ameen Sayani, who has mesmerised old and young alike for decades with his golden voice, has been conferred with the Padma Shri in recognition of his contribution in the field of broadcasting.One of the most popular announcers of All India Radio (AIR), Sayani, 77, became a household name with his signature “behno aur bhaiyo” catchphrase in musical programmes like “Geetmala”.
Sayani has immensely contributed in the development of commercial broadcasting in India.
According to the Limca Book Of Records 2005, he has presented over 54,000 radio programmes and around 19,000 commercial spots and jingles, making waves in the radio world of India, Sri Lanka, the US, Canada, Britain, UAE and New Zealand.
His legendary countdown began on Radio Ceylon and continued over AIR’s Vividh Bharati for almost 46 years.
He has also produced and presented film personality interviews, plays and skits, musical features, quiz shows, career guidance and AIDS awareness programmes, feature film promotional trailers, etc.
Sayani was also a part of various movies like “Bhoot Bangla”, “Teen Devian”, “Boxer”, “Qatl”. He appeared in these movies in the role of an announcer.
- Today's music touches body not heart: Ameen Sayani - Jan 03, 2011
- Ameen Sayaani launches his new album - Oct 02, 2009
- R Anandh's Makes a Comeback After Zor in Lafangey Parindey - Aug 21, 2010
- Receiving Padma Shri is a dream come true: Udit Narayan - Jan 26, 2009
- 'Bhoot 2' is 'Bhoot Returns' (Movie Snippets) - Aug 31, 2012
- BBC to open online radio archives - Nov 03, 2011
- Facebook page to connect community radio stations and ministry - Jul 12, 2012
- RGV uses optical illusion in 'Bhoot Returns' poster (With Image) - Sep 04, 2012
- Rockers are treated like orphans: Suraj Jagan (With Image) - Jul 09, 2012
- China bans commercials during TV dramas - Nov 28, 2011
- Take That bag 'most played' gong - Jun 19, 2010
- Manisha one of our finest actresses: RGV (Movie Snippets) - Sep 21, 2012
- Nuclear Corp now turns to catchy jingles to push Kudankalam - Nov 25, 2011
- Here comes '7 Notes to Infinity', film on Indian classical music - Jun 08, 2012
- BBC to broadcast live abortion programme on radio - Apr 24, 2012