Veteran AMRI doctor gets bail till Feb 15February 3rd, 2012 - 12:17 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 2 (IANS) AMRI Hospital MD and veteran doctor Mani Chettri, held for a fire in the institution that killed 94 people last December, was Thursday given conditional bail till Feb 15 by a Kolkata court.
The court sent three accused hospital officials to police custody till Feb 6 and extended the judicial custody of others till Feb 16, a lawyer said.
“Mani Chettri, 92, was granted conditional bail till Feb 15. Three other accused namely Pritha Banerjee (vice president, administration), Sajid Hussain (security in charge) and Pranab Dasgupta (director) were sent to police custody till Feb 6,” said AMRI counsel Salim Rahaman.
“The rest of the directors’ judicial custody has been extended till Feb 16,” he said.
Chettri, MD of the high-cost health facility in south Kolkata’s Dhakuria, and Dasgupta were arrested Jan 27 while Banerjee and Hussain were arrested Jan 23.
The licence of the hospital was taken in the name of Chettri, a veteran general physician. Dasgupta is a gynaecologist.
Chettri who was admitted to the ICCU of the state-run SSKM hospital following his arrest was granted bail on health grounds.
Six of the directors are now lodged in Alipore Correctional Home. The seventh R.S. Agarwal continues to be admitted in SSKM Hospital following ill health since his arrest Dec 9 - the day of the incident.
- Medical group opposes leniency to accused AMRI doctor - Feb 04, 2012
- Two more AMRI directors arrested, sent to police custody (Third Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Two more AMRI directors arrested, in police custody (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Two more AMRI officials arrested, sent to police custody - Jan 23, 2012
- Two more AMRI Hospital directors arrested (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Two more directors of AMRI Hospital arrested - Jan 27, 2012
- Speed up bail process for veteran AMRI doctor: Gorkha party - Jan 30, 2012
- GJM demands bail for AMRI doctor, Mamata rebuffs (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Another AMRI hospital director granted bail - Feb 23, 2012
- AMRI case: Directors' police custody extended by 3 days (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- AMRI directors denied bail - Dec 23, 2011
- Police custody of six AMRI Hospital directors extended - Dec 20, 2011
- Charge sheet filed against 16 for Kolkata hospital fire - Mar 01, 2012
- AMRI director refused bail - Jan 13, 2012
- AMRI director gets bail, Bengal to move apex court (Second Lead) - Feb 17, 2012