Verma, wife move release application in money laundering caseSeptember 11th, 2012 - 8:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 11 (IANS) Businessman Abhishek Verma and his wife, arrested for their alleged role in a money laundering case, Tuesday moved an application for their release in a Delhi court, terming their custody as illegal.
Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Maria Neascu filed separate applications before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Gautam Manan, requesting the court to release them as the “continuity of the custody has been broken” by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) with their judicial custody not extended Monday.
The court has fixed Sep 17 for hearing the matter and asked ED to file a reply on it.
Verma said that an application was moved by the ED for judicial custody before the ACMM’s court on which it, without passing any order on grant of further custody, issued production warrants.
“As the judicial custody of the applicant has not been extended by this court, his judicial custody is illegal and the applicant cannot be kept in judicial custody in the present case,” said Verma, in his application filed by lawyer Vijay Aggarwal.
The couple, in their applications, said they are “not in custody” in this case and granting their fresh custody will “tantamount to fresh arrest” and will lead to “severe agony and injustice” to them.
Verma and his wife were arrested Aug 22 by the ED in the money laundering case.
They were not produced in court Tuesday after expiry of their judicial custody as their custody were handed over to Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for 10 days in a case of violating the official secrets acts.
The 2006 naval war room leak case, in which Verma is an accused, was linked to leaking classified documents from the directorate of naval operations.
The couple also face separate corruption, cheating and forgery cases.
- Abhishek Verma faces arrest for money laundering - Aug 21, 2012
- Abhishek Verma's wife denied bail - Aug 30, 2012
- ED to quiz Abhishek, wife - Aug 23, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife in judicial custody for money laundering - Aug 27, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife granted bail, arrested afresh - Aug 08, 2012
- Granted bail, Anca will still stay in jail - Aug 29, 2012
- Abhishek Verma calls fresh case politically motivated - Aug 09, 2012
- CBI to question Abhishek Verma, wife till Aug 21 - Aug 16, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife sent to jail till July 4 (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife in seven days CBI custody - Jun 09, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife in CBI custody till June 21 (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Naval war room case: Abhishek Verma arrested with wife - Jun 08, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife seek bail - Aug 07, 2012
- Bail plea of Abhishek Verma's wife dismissed (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Abhishek Verma fails to appear in court - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: agony, businessman, cbi, central bureau of investigation, delhi court, enforcement directorate, expiry, forgery cases, injustice, judicial custody, magistrate, manan, money laundering, move release, naval operations, naval war, official secrets, sep 11, vijay, war room