Verdict victory for Modi, claims BJPSeptember 12th, 2011 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 12 (IANS) Claiming it was a “victory” for Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Monday said the Supreme Court verdict asking a trial court to hear a petition against him in the killing of former MP Ehsan Jafri in the 2002 riots was a relief for the politician.
“It is not just a relief for Modi, but a victory for Modi,” BJP spokesperson Balbir K. Punj told reporters here.
The apex court order came after a petition filed by Zakia Jafri, the widow of Ehasan Jafri, urging a probe into Modi’s role in the Gulberg society carnage and the trial of the case by a special court outside the state.
Punj said Modi will now “play a much larger role in the national political scene”.
He said at no stage did the party believe Modi was involved in the riots.
Another party spokesperson Prakash Javdekar said leader of opposition in the Rajya Sabha and former law minister Arun Jaitley will give a detailed briefing about the verdict in the afternoon.
The Supreme Court Monday directed a trial court to hear the petition by Zakia Jafri, widow of former MP Ehsan Jafri who was killed in the Gulberg Society carnage during the 2002 riots, against Modi.
- Apex court decision victory for Modi: BJP (Lead) - Sep 12, 2011
- God is great, tweets Modi after Supreme Court verdict - Sep 12, 2011
- No clean chit to Modi: Congress - Sep 12, 2011
- Gulberg Society case: Apex court verdict Monday - Sep 11, 2011
- How Zakia Jafri's complaint reached apex court - Sep 12, 2011
- I am upset, disappointed: Zakia Jafri - Sep 12, 2011
- Narendra Modi to sit on fast - Sep 13, 2011
- Court verdict a vindication, says BJP; Congress says no clean chit to Modi (Roundup) - Sep 13, 2011
- Verdict a huge step forward: Setalvad - Sep 12, 2011
- Amicus curiae report on Gulberg points at Modi, Congress attacks BJP (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Gujarat government expresses happiness over apex court order - Sep 12, 2011
- Gujarat gets notice on plea to change Gulberg Society case judge - Oct 26, 2010
- Case against Modi should be closed: BJP - Feb 11, 2012
- Zakia seeks copy of SIT report on Gujarat riots - Feb 09, 2012
- 'SIT report has dealt with Ramachandran's contention' - May 07, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, arun jaitley, bharatiya janata party, carnage, chief minister, ehsan jafri, gujarat, law minister, leader of opposition, narendra modi, New Delhi, party spokesperson, politician, punj, rajya sabha, riots, supreme court verdict, trial court, zakia