Venice Film Festival opens with Mira Nair filmAugust 30th, 2012 - 2:07 pm ICT by IANS
Venice, Aug 30 (IANS) The 69th Venice Film Festival opened Wednesday with Indian director Mira Nair’s political thriller that explores life changes of a young Pakistani man rising through the ranks on Wall Street after the 9/11 attack.
“The Reluctant Fundamentalist” was chosen to “highlight the growing role of female creativity in all spheres of culture and contemporary society”, Alberto Barbera, the director of this year’s festival, was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Female influence is an important theme of the festival, during which people will see multiple activities to promote awareness on female contribution to world cinema.
At a press conference before the opening of the event, Nair said: “I made the movie to promote dialogue between West and East, and I hope it will help to break the wall between different cultures, races and religions.”
“For myself, I felt equal intimacy to both cultures,” said the Indian director who has lived in New York for many years.
The movie, adapted from a book with the same tile, would “provide much food for thought”, said Barbera.
The Lido island, where the event is staged, is now abuzz with well-known directors, actors and actress.
However, big names like George Clooney, Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp did not appear in the red carpet show in the evening as in past years.
This year’s festival will feature 18 movies in the competition rounds, with dozens more appearing in out-of-competition and Horizon sessions.
- Spike Lee to be honoured at Venice film fest - Aug 04, 2012
- Darren Aronofsky Directed "Black Swan" To Open Venice Film Festival - Jul 24, 2010
- Mira Nair To Shoot In Pakistan - Oct 28, 2010
- That Girl In Yellow Boots To Be Screened At Venice Film Festival - Aug 03, 2010
- Mira Nair making Broadway musical of 'Monsoon Wedding' - Nov 30, 2010
- Lahore is Delhi 50 years ago: Mira Nair - Apr 16, 2012
- Israel's 'Lebanon' wins top prize at Venice Film Festival - Sep 13, 2009
- Venice film fest: Kim Ki-duk's 'Pieta' scoops Golden Lion - Sep 09, 2012
- Venice film festival to open with ballet thriller Black Swan - Jul 24, 2010
- Mira Nair finds India distributor for '... Fundamentalist' - Jun 06, 2012
- Madonna's 'W.E.' to premiere at Venice film fest - Jul 29, 2011
- Johnny Depp tops celeb Christmas guest poll - Dec 25, 2011
- Italy's River to River fest turns 10 - with Satyajit Ray - Oct 21, 2010
- Hollywood splash in Bollywood country! (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Clooney film to open Venice festival - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: actors and actress, angelina jolie, competition rounds, contemporary society, different cultures, director mira nair, female influence, george clooney, indian director, johnny depp, lido island, life changes, mira nair, movie adapted from, pakistani man, political thriller, red carpet, venice film festival, world cinema, xinhua