Venezuelans protest against US sanctionsMay 26th, 2011 - 9:09 am ICT by IANS
Caracas, May 26 (IANS) Thousands of Venezuelans Wednesday gathered in oil facilities of Caracas and other cities to stage protest against the US economic sanctions against state-run oil company Petroleos de Venezuela (PDVSA), Xinhua reported.
President Hugo Chavez saluted the protests by writing in his Twitter account: “Congratulations to the workers of PDVSA! From my trench receive a solidary greet and my encouraging word for everybody. Venezuela is respected!”
Meanwhile, Venezuela’s Energy Minister Rafael Ramirez, during an event to protest against these sanctions in Anzoategui state, said that as a sovereign country, Venezuela is the one who decides who are its friends and not the US.
“Here we have a brave president, committed with the interest of the people,” Ramirez added.
Edmundo Kabachi, an expert on international affairs, said that the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) must take a strong position as an answer to the US sanctions.
- Venezuela pays Exxon $250 mn for nationalized assets - Feb 17, 2012
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Italian oil giant to invest $7 bn in Venezuela - Jul 16, 2011
- Venezuela to pay nationalized US firms $420 mn - Mar 26, 2012
- Japan, South Korea plan big oil investments in Venezuela - Apr 30, 2012
- Venezuela, Cuba sign oil exploration treaty - Apr 23, 2010
- Venezuela to invest $45 bn to build, maintain refineries - Oct 01, 2011
- Venezuela confirms start-up of oil exploration off Cuba - Sep 06, 2012
- Russian firm to operate two oil fields in Venezuela - Apr 13, 2012
- Venezuela, China announce joint oil venture - Apr 20, 2010
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Gas rig sinks off Venezuelan coast; no injuries - May 13, 2010
- Chavez takes to Twitter after surgery - Mar 02, 2012
- Production at Venezuela gas field to start in 15 months - Sep 07, 2012
- Venezuela to spend oil income on social programmes (Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: caracas, country venezuela, economic sanctions, encouraging word, energy minister, hugo chavez, international affairs, oil company, oil facilities, opec, pdvsa, petroleos de venezuela, petroleum exporting countries, president hugo chavez, protest, protests, rafael ramirez, sovereign country, xinhua