Venezuelan President Chavez on China visitSeptember 23rd, 2008 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 23 (RIA Novosti) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez arrived in China Tuesday on a three-day state visit, part of his week-long world tour which includes Russia, Portugal and France. China’s foreign ministry official earlier said Chavez would meet President Hu Jintao and other top officials to discuss an agenda dominated by energy cooperation. She also said the two sides would sign documents on cooperation in justice, sports and other fields.
China, a booming economy with huge energy needs, is the second largest destination of Venezuelan oil after the US. Chavez, an outspoken critic of US foreign policy, is seeking new markets to reduce his country’s reliance on the US.
Chavez’s visit to Moscow comes at a time of increased military cooperation between Russia and Venezuela. Russian strategic bombers visited Venezuela earlier this month and made a six-hour patrol flight along the South American coast. The show of force close to US borders was condemned by Washington as a “dangerous game”.
On Monday, Russia also sent a naval task force on a tour of duty in the Atlantic, which includes joint naval drills with Venezuela in November.
- China gives $20 bn to Venezuela in exchange for fuel - Apr 19, 2010
- Venezuela to pull gold reserves out of US, Europe - Aug 19, 2011
- Venezuelan president wants Carter to join Libya mission - Mar 05, 2011
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Chinese president meets Clinton - Sep 05, 2012
- Chavez attacks Hillary for 'threatening' Russia, China - Jul 10, 2012
- Chavez not to attend Americas summit - Apr 15, 2012
- Cancer-hit Chavez to leave Cuba next week - Mar 09, 2012
- Venezuela provides $2 bn for fund with China - Jul 11, 2011
- Belarus to help build space facility in Venezuela - Jul 05, 2012
- Vladimir Putin begins China visit - Jun 05, 2012
- Venezuela nationalises steelmaker - Nov 02, 2010
- Russia to help Venezuela develop nuclear project - Apr 03, 2010
- Chavez sees US hand in Russia protests - Dec 29, 2011
- Syria should resolve crisis on its own: Chavez - Aug 02, 2012