Venezuela to hold referendum on Chavez term Feb 15January 17th, 2009 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Jan 17 (IANS) Venezuela will hold a referendum Feb 15 to decide whether to remove limits on the re-election of President Hugo Chavez and other elected officials, EFE news agency reported Saturday, citing officials.The head of Venezuela’s CNE elections council, Tibisay Lucena, made the announcement a day after lawmakers approved the amendment proposal brought by Chavez supporters.
A fiery critic of the US, Chavez was first elected in 1998 and has since won two more elections and defeated a recall attempt, each time by a wide margin. But under the present rules, he now is barred from seeking re-election again in 2012.
Announcing the date of the referendum, Lucena, said the poll would be “clean, transparent and reliable”. Campaigning for the referendum would begin Saturday and conclude at midnight Feb 13, the official added.
The proposal to hold the referendum was passed in the National Assemby Wednesday, thanks to an opposition boycott of the most recent congressional elections and most of the members of the 167-assembly being Chavez loyalists.
The constitutional amendment promoted by Chavez has aroused the ire of opposition parties who denounce it as “trickery” and accused the socialist president of trying to to perpetuate himself in power.
- Venezuela to hold referendum on presidential term limits - Feb 10, 2009
- Venezuela's ruling party wins majority in election - Sep 27, 2010
- Chavez gets green light for unlimited re-election (Lead) - Feb 16, 2009
- Chavez to launch re-election bid - Jun 07, 2012
- Chavez's Party Loses It's Supermajority in Venezuela Elections - Sep 27, 2010
- Venezuelan president says he needs more chemotherapy - Sep 14, 2011
- Chavez in 'good health' after treatment - Jun 10, 2012
- Chavez bumps opposition hopeful from airwaves - Sep 18, 2012
- Chavez says chemotherapy will make him bald like Yul Brynner - Jul 29, 2011
- Chavez to travel to Cuba for surgery - Feb 24, 2012
- Chavez vows to spend extra income from oil on social programmes - Apr 23, 2011
- Venezuela to spend oil income on social programmes (Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Venezuala referendum on unlimited terms for Chavez approved - Jan 15, 2009
- Chavez touts tourism venture with Cuba - Aug 11, 2012