Venezuela snaps diplomatic ties with Israel over GazaJanuary 15th, 2009 - 11:32 am ICT by IANS
Caracas, Jan 15 (IANS) Venezuela has announced that it was breaking diplomatic relations with Israel “in the face of the seriousness of the atrocities against the Palestinian people”, EFE reported Thursday.In a communique released by the foreign ministry, the government of President Hugo Chavez said Wednesday that it would insist “before the international community that the crimes against humanity committed by (Israel’s) leaders be denounced before the International Criminal Court”.
The move by Caracas came after the announcement earlier Wednesday by the Bolivian government that La Paz was breaking diplomatic ties with Israel as an act of solidarity with Palestinians suffering from Tel Aviv’s current offensive in the Gaza strip.
“Bolivia had diplomatic relations with Israel, but in the face of of these acts of grave attacks against life, against humanity, Bolivia breaks diplomatic relations with Israel,” Bolivian President Evo Morales said during a reception for the diplomatic corps at the presidential palace.
Launched Dec 27, the Israeli campaign in Gaza has left more than 900 Palestinians dead and 4,600 wounded. The UN estimates that half of the dead are women and children.
- Bolivia, Venezuela presidents invited to Palestine victory feast - Jan 18, 2009
- American Jewish Committee urges to condemn Venezuelan President after Israel's remarks - Jun 08, 2010
- Bolivia cuts diplomatic ties with Israel over Gaza - Jan 15, 2009
- Diplomat's expulsion: Venezuela to close Miami consulate - Jan 14, 2012
- Venezuela, US to restore diplomatic ties - Jun 25, 2009
- Venezuela president goes for last chemotherapy session - Sep 18, 2011
- Bolivian army to sell bread to prevent shortages - Jan 01, 2011
- Russia supports creation of independent Palestinian state, urges talks - Jan 19, 2011
- Israel fears more rocket attacks - Mar 27, 2012
- Morales' comments on gays, chickens, baldness trump climate event - Apr 23, 2010
- Over 20 killed in Venezuela prison fight - Aug 21, 2012
- US open to restoring diplomatic ties with Venezuela, says official - Apr 21, 2009
- Bolivia nationalises Spanish-owned firm - May 02, 2012
- Krishna leaves for Israel, Palestine Sunday - Jan 06, 2012
- Russia, Venezuela sign energy, defence deals - Apr 04, 2010