Venezuela nabs three for Mexican envoy’s abductionFebruary 7th, 2012 - 11:34 am ICT by IANS
Caracas, Feb 7 (IANS/EFE) Three people who abducted and later released Mexican Ambassador Carlos Pujalte and his wife Jan 29 in Venezuela have been arrested, a minister said.
Among those arrested is “the head of the criminal band who participated in the ambassador’s kidnapping”, Venezuela’s Interior Minister Tareck El Aissami said.
He said five other people involved in the couple’s abduction have been identified and are being sought by Venezuelan security forces.
“From the moment when we learned of the deeds, we have not rested … We have identified those who participated in the kidnapping,” the minister told Union Radio.
Pujalte and wife Paloma Ojeda were kidnapped shortly after midnight when they left a reception in a residential neighbourhood in northern Caracas.
Pujalte, an attorney and career diplomat, and his wife were held by their four male and “heavily armed” captors for four hours but they were then released in the Las Mayas sector in western Caracas.
Pujalte’s kidnapping came two months after the Chilean consul in Caracas, Juan Carlos Fernandez, was shot, beaten, threatened and held hostage for two hours.
Venezuela has a homicide rate of 48 per 100,000 residents and Caracas is considered one of the most dangerous cities in Latin America.
- Costa Rican diplomat kidnapped in Venezuela is free - Apr 11, 2012
- Costa Rican diplomat kidnapped in Venezuela (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Costa Rican diplomat kidnapped in Venezuela - Apr 10, 2012
- Kidnapped Venezuelan baseball player rescued - Nov 13, 2011
- Venezuela nabs Colombian drug lord - May 30, 2010
- Abducted Mexican ambassador freed in Venezuela - Jan 31, 2012
- Venezuela seizes three tonnes of cocaine, coca paste - Apr 23, 2010
- Venezuelan killed by stray shot from prison - May 10, 2012
- Five accused of sex crimes slain in Venezuela prison - Jan 03, 2012
- 1.8 tonnes of cocaine seized in Venezuela - Dec 07, 2009
- 6,000 kg chemicals, 4.5 tonnes cocaine seized in Venezuela - Apr 24, 2010
- Former president Kirchner's death stuns Argentina - Oct 28, 2010
- Chilean senators barred from entering Venezuela - Jul 18, 2010
- Former Uruguayan minister gets 20 years for murder - Apr 22, 2010
- Venezuelan lawmakers honour Olympic fencing champ - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: abducted, abduction, career diplomat, carlos fernandez, chilean consul, dangerous cities, homicide rate, interior minister, jan 29, juan carlos, latin america, mayas, mexican ambassador, nabs, ojeda, paloma, residential neighbourhood, security forces, union radio, wife jan