Venezuela confirms start-up of oil exploration off CubaSeptember 6th, 2012 - 10:48 am ICT by IANS
Lecheria (Venezuela), Sep 6 (IANS/EFE) State-owned oil giant Petroleos de Venezuela, or PDVSA, has started exploring for oil in deepwater areas off Cuba, Oil and Mining Minister Rafael Ramirez said.
“It started and when we have the results, we’ll tell the country,” Ramirez said, without providing further details.
State-owned Cubapetroleo, or CUPET, said in early August that PDVSA would continue drilling in deepwater areas despite the fact that other foreign oil companies hit two dry holes.
Malaysia’s PC Gulf and Russia’s Gazpromneft found an “active petroleum system” during their turns at operating the Scarabeo 9 rig, making the discovery at a depth of 4,666 meters but failing to come up with significant ammounts of gas and petroleum in Cuba’s Exclusive Economic Zone in the Gulf of Mexico, CUPET said.
Scarabeo 9 will be turned over “in the next few days” to PDVSA “so it can start drilling the Cabo de San Antonio 1 exploratory well” in the zone, Ramirez said.
Spain’s Repsol failed to find oil while using the rig in May.
Cuba’s Exclusive Economic Zone in the Gulf of Mexico is divided into 59 blocks, of which 22 are under contract to foreign oil companies.
The Cuban government estimates that the zone may hold 20 billion barrels of petroleum, while other estimates range from 5 billion barrels to 9 billion barrels.
- Cuba estimates 2011 oil, gas output at four mn tonnes - Dec 22, 2011
- Japan, South Korea plan big oil investments in Venezuela - Apr 30, 2012
- Mexican firm eyeing Cuba offshore oil projects - Apr 13, 2012
- Mexico makes large offshore oil find - Aug 30, 2012
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Venezuela, Cuba sign oil exploration treaty - Apr 23, 2010
- Italian oil giant to invest $7 bn in Venezuela - Jul 16, 2011
- US to hold major auction of oil and gas leases - Dec 15, 2011
- Colombian firm makes oil find - Aug 17, 2012
- Russian firm to operate two oil fields in Venezuela - Apr 13, 2012
- Venezuela to pay nationalized US firms $420 mn - Mar 26, 2012
- US blames BP's poor decisions for Gulf oil spill - Sep 15, 2011
- US allows BP to drill new Gulf deepwater wells - Oct 22, 2011
- Venezuela, China announce joint oil venture - Apr 20, 2010
- BP has paid $5 bn to people affected by oil spill - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: cabo de san antonio, cuba, cuban government, cupet, dry holes, early august, economic zone, few days, government estimates, gulf of mexico, lecheria, oil companies, oil exploration, oil giant, pdvsa, petroleos de venezuela, petroleum system, rafael ramirez, repsol, rig