Veerappan’s widow acquitted in all cases in KarnatakaApril 25th, 2011 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, April 25 (IANS) Slain forest brigand Veerappan’s widow Muthulakshmi was Monday set free from a jail here following her acquittal in all the five cases against her in Karnataka. She was, however, arrested by Tamil Nadu police as a case was pending against her in the neighbouring state, Karnataka police said.
Muthulakshmi was taken to Gopichettipalyam in Erode district.
Muthulakshmi was arrested by Karnataka police in November 2008, four years after Veerappan, notorious for attacking policemen, killing elephants and smuggling sandalwood and ivory, was gunned down by Tamil Nadu police in 2004.
Karnataka police had made her an accused in four cases regarding Veerappan’s attack on police personnel and stations in Male Mahadeshwara forest ranges between 1991 and 1993. The fifth case related to the killing of a forest official.
She was charged with abetting her husband’s crimes. All cases against her were heard by a court in Chamarajanagar, bordering Tamil Nadu.
The court April 20 acquitted her in the last case - killing of six policemen by Veerappan in 1993.
After her arrest, she was lodged in Mysore jail, but shifted to the central prison in Bangalore in November last year as police felt it was much safer for her.
- Forest brigand Veerappan's widow, three others arrested (Lead) - Nov 26, 2008
- Forest brigand Veerappan's widow arrested - Nov 26, 2008
- Court quashes Karnataka police chief's appointment - Mar 31, 2012
- Infant is Karnataka top cop (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Apex court stays order in Karnataka cop's case (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- All 269 guilty in Vachathi mass rape, assault case - Sep 29, 2011
- High security for Jayalalithaa's court appearance Thursday - Oct 19, 2011
- Special court in prison complex for Jayalalithaa's appearance - Oct 18, 2011
- Gunfire, spirituality and call of wild on book cart (IANS Books This Week) - Aug 18, 2011
- Apex court stays order in Karnataka top cop's case (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Face trial in Bangalore Thursday, apex court tells Jayalalithaa - Oct 19, 2011
- Admired abroad, ridiculed at home: Karnataka's dubious distinction (Karnataka Newsletter) - Jun 27, 2011
- Vijay Kumar replaces Srivastava as CRPF chief - Oct 02, 2010
- Jayalalithaa reappears in court in assets case - Oct 21, 2011
- Hunt on for godman caught in sex scandal - Mar 04, 2010