Vedanta vows to complete its projects in OrissaJanuary 3rd, 2009 - 11:01 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 3 (IANS) NRI industrialist and chairman of Britain’s Vedanta Resources Anil Agarwal Saturday said his group will complete all its projects in Orissa despite the credit crunch.“I assured Chief Minister (Naveen Patnaik) that we will complete our projects,” Agarwal told reporters after talks with the chief minister and senior state government officials here.
The Anil Agarwal Foundation is setting up a multi-disciplinary world-class Vedanta University near the Konark-Puri Marine Drive with an investment of Rs.150 billion ($3.75 billion) in phases.
Vedanta Alumina, part of the Vedanta Resources (Sterlite) Group, is also building an alumina refinery with an investment of $800 million in the state’s Kalahandi region.
“Kalahandi alumina project has started production. Very soon we are going to start the mining in the region after abiding by a Supreme Court guideline,” Agarwal said.
The company is also building an aluminium smelter project costing Rs.70 billion in Jharsuguda district.
Referring to his discussions with the chief minister, Agarwal said: “I have mentioned that the Jharsuguda project has started production. I was here to invite him to come and inaugurate it.”
“We have assured the Orissa government that we will not divert our resources. The projects will be completed as per our plan. We have full commitment for that.”
- Vedanta committed to completing Orissa projects: Agarwal - Jun 06, 2009
- Land acquisition for Vedanta University quashed - Nov 16, 2010
- Orissa rally to celebrate dumping of university plan - Nov 30, 2010
- BJP activists burn effigies of Patnaik over Vedanta issue - Nov 17, 2010
- Vedanta University project gets environmental clearance - Apr 17, 2010
- Orissa assembly disrupted again over university issue - Nov 24, 2010
- Protests in Orissa over varsity land issue - Nov 18, 2010
- Orissa assembly adjourned over Vedanta varsity issue - Nov 23, 2010
- Vedanta hopes to get bauxite for Orissa plant soon - Jan 22, 2010
- Vedanta's Orissa projects are on schedule: Agarwal - Apr 26, 2008
- Patnaik defends Vedanta varsity decision - Nov 25, 2010
- Vedanta merges units to create India's largest resources firm (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- India junks Vedanta's mining bid on environment concerns - Aug 24, 2010
- Orissa moves apex court on proposed Vedanta university - Dec 15, 2010
- Vedanta against bauxite export - Sep 03, 2012