Vedanta University project gets environmental clearanceApril 17th, 2010 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 17 (IANS) The Rs.150 billion Vedanta University project in Orissa by the Anil Agarwal foundation has got environmental and coastal regulation zone (CRZ) clearances from the central government, a project spokesman said Saturday.
“The union ministry of environment and forests (MOEF) has granted the environment and CRZ clearances to the Vedanta University project,” Sasanka Patnaik told IANS.
“We received the letter from the ministry today (Saturday),” he said.
The Anil Agarwal foundation is promoted by NRI billionaire and chairman of Britain’s Vedanta Resources Anil Agarwal.
It has proposed to set up a multi-disciplinary Vedanta University over 6,000 acres of land near the Konark-Puri marine drive, some 60 km from here.
This not-for-profit university, being built on a global scale, has been envisaged as one-of-its-kind institution for quality higher education and cutting-edge research facility in 95 academic disciplines for 100,000 students.
- Environment ministry puts on hold Vedanta varsity in Orissa - May 11, 2010
- Land acquisition for Vedanta University quashed - Nov 16, 2010
- BJP activists burn effigies of Patnaik over Vedanta issue - Nov 17, 2010
- Orissa rally to celebrate dumping of university plan - Nov 30, 2010
- Protests in Orissa over varsity land issue - Nov 18, 2010
- Vedanta committed to completing Orissa projects: Agarwal - Jun 06, 2009
- Orissa assembly adjourned over Vedanta varsity issue - Nov 23, 2010
- Controversial Vedanta University gets Orissa assembly nod - Jul 30, 2009
- Orissa assembly disrupted again over university issue - Nov 24, 2010
- Patnaik defends Vedanta varsity decision - Nov 25, 2010
- Vedanta University Bill re-introduced in Orissa assembly - Jul 25, 2009
- Supreme Court bench again avoids Vedanta hearing - Jan 21, 2011
- Vedanta vows to complete its projects in Orissa - Jan 03, 2009
- Supreme Court notice to government on Orissa project - Apr 21, 2011
- Orissa moves apex court on proposed Vedanta university - Dec 15, 2010
Tags: academic disciplines, anil agarwal foundation, billionaire, central government, cutting edge research, environmental clearance, global scale, konark, ministry of environment, ministry of environment and forests, moef, orissa, quality higher education, sasanka, spokesman, union ministry, vedanta resources, vedanta university