Vatican newspaper launches Malayalam editionJune 25th, 2008 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
Vatican City, June 25 (DPA) Pope Benedict XVI welcomed Wednesday the Vatican newspaper’s first edition in the Malayalam language, a publication aimed mainly at Catholics from India’s southern state of Kerala. L’Osservatore Romano’s Malayalam edition “is a highly significant event in the life of the Church in India,” Benedict said in a message issued by the Vatican.
“It will keep the over six million Catholics in Kerala fully informed about the ministry of the Pope and the work of the Holy See,” Benedict said.
The newspaper is a translation in Malayalam of L’Osservatore Romano’s weekly English language edition, which is already available in India where it is published by Carmel International Publishing House.
The first copies of the Malayalam edition will be distributed from July 3 at parishes in Kerala and elsewhere in India, L’Osservatore Romano said.
The Malayalam edition marks the first time the Vatican’s newspaper is published in a non-European language.
Besides the daily version in Italian, weekly editions of L’Osservatore Romano currently exist in Italian, English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German and Polish.
- Vatican mulling Arabic and Russian versions of website - Aug 10, 2010
- Pope Benedict XVI may make first call to space on May 4 - Apr 24, 2011
- Pope blesses worshippers via Twitter - Feb 24, 2012
- Hindus smell greed in Vatican declaring "Simpsons" as Catholics - Nov 01, 2010
- Vatican launches own internet news portal - Jun 29, 2011
- Pope to talk with ISS crew - Apr 22, 2011
- Use of condoms can be justified 'in certain cases', says Pope - Nov 21, 2010
- Vatican releases Papal book - Nov 24, 2010
- Beatles forgiven by Vatican for 'bigger than Jesus' comment - Apr 12, 2010
- Quite beyond science to explain Turin Shroud: Vatican daily - Dec 30, 2011
- 'The Simpsons' are not Catholic, say producers - Oct 22, 2010
- Vatican slams media over allegations Pope helped cover up sex abuse - Mar 27, 2010
- Vatican newspaper declares 'Homer Simpson a true Catholic' - Oct 18, 2010
- Pope to launch YouTube channel - Jan 19, 2009
- Pope Benedict's butler to face trial for stealing letters - Aug 13, 2012