Vasco pip Oil India 1-0 to remain in Fed Cup semis frayDecember 16th, 2008 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Barasat (West Bengal), Dec 16 (IANS) Goa’s Vasco Sports Club withstood pressure before netting late into the second half to beat a spirited Oil India 1-0 and stay in firm contention for a semi-final berth in the 30th Federation Cup football tournament here Tuesday.Uzbek striker Ravshan Teshabaev broke the stalemate 69 minutes into the group D encounter by heading home a corner kick at the Vidyasagar stadium that saw the oilmen dominate the show.
However, lack of finishing proved the undoing of the young Oil India boys, who also failed to convert a penalty in the 40th minute.
Vasco finished their group engagements on six points, and will now await the result of the last group league match between Air India and former champions Mohun Bagan.
Air India, on four points, would be through if they win; a drawn game would see Vasco in the last four; Mohun Bagan (three points) will battle it out in the semis if they triumph.
Vasco, who went down to Air India in their lung-opener before scoring against the run of play to beat Mohun Bagan two days back, had the closest of shaves in the 40th minute.
Oil India were awarded a spot kick after their talented striker Durga Boro was brought down by Elvino Fernandes inside the Vasco box. But Nigerian recruit Okwuelum Ezekiel muffed up the golden chance with a weak shot that went straight to goalkeeper Laxmikant Kattimani.
After an unproductive first session, Vasco got the all-important goal when Agnelo Colaco floated a measured corner from the right and Ravshan darted in from top of the box to head home.
- Bagan beat Air India for semi-final tryst with East Bengal (Lead) - Dec 16, 2008
- Vasco upset Mohun Bagan 1-0; Oil India hold Air India 1-1 (Lead) - Dec 14, 2008
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
- Odafa rescues Mohun Bagan again in I-League - Feb 11, 2012
- Sporting Clube stun Mohun Bagan in I-League - Jan 19, 2012
- I-League: Dempo hold Mohun Bagan - Apr 01, 2012
- Air India finish 1-1 with Oil India to stay in semis hunt - Dec 14, 2008
- Mohun Bagan ground Air India 3-1 in I-League - Dec 28, 2011
- Barreto misses penalty as Salgaocar hold Bagan 1-1 - Apr 10, 2010
- I-League: Barreto scores in his swansong as Bagan blank Pune FC - May 06, 2012
- Federation Cup: Mohun Bagan bow out, Wahingdoh upset Churchill - Sep 20, 2011
- Prayag United, Mumbai FC shock rivals - Nov 23, 2011
- I-League: Prayag United held goalless by Air India - Apr 11, 2012
- I-League: HAL hold Mohun Bagan to a goalless draw - Apr 06, 2012
- Mohun Bagan, Mumbai FC win (Roundup) - Oct 24, 2011