Vasco da Gama defeat Lanus 2-1 in Copa LibertadoresMay 3rd, 2012 - 5:37 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, May 3 (IANS) First-half goals from Alecsandro and Diego Souza were enough to give Brazil’s Vasco da Gama a 2-1 victory over Lanus in their Copa Libertadores round of 16 first leg.
Alecsandro opened the scoring Wednesday at Rio’s Sao Januario stadium by tapping in an Eder Luis cross on 25 minutes.
Diego Souza made it 2-0, three minutes before half-time when he gained possession in the area and, with his back to goal, flicked the ball over the head of Diego Braghieri before a first-time drive into the top-right corner.
Lanus dominated the early stages of the second half and Mario Regueiro gave his team a precious away goal with a 62nd-minute strike.
The Argentinians could have equalized late on but Regueiro and substitute Teofilo Gutierrez missed great chances.
The result means Lanus only needs to win next week’s return match 1-0 to advance to the quarter-finals.
In other games, former Villarreal playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme scored in Boca Juniors’ 2-1 home victory over Chile’s Union Espanola.
Meanwhile 10-man Corinthians held on for a 0-0 draw against Ecuador’s Emelec in the coastal city of Guayaquil.
- Vasco da Gama defeat Lanus 2-1 in Copa Libertadores - May 03, 2012
- Flamengo eliminated from Copa Libertadores - Apr 13, 2012
- Fluminense fans celebrate historic win over Boca Juniors - Mar 08, 2012
- Juninho leads Vasco da Gama to victory - Apr 01, 2012
- Ronaldinho scores to give Flamengo 2-1 victory - Apr 08, 2012
- Santos maintain top spot, Flamengo stumble - Apr 05, 2012
- Boca defender to play in Libertadores - Jul 01, 2012
- Boca in bid to convince Riquelme to stay - Jul 06, 2012
- Maradona brands Riquelme traitor - Jul 19, 2012
- Boca beat Universidad in Copa Libertadores semis - Jun 15, 2012
- Souza strikes to secure victory for Vasco da Gama - Apr 13, 2012
- Ronaldo pleaded with me to join Corinthians: Riquelme - Jun 27, 2012
- Riquelme in talks with Brazil's Flamengo - Jul 08, 2012
- Flamengo players in tears after exit from Copa Libertadores - Apr 17, 2012
- Felipe brace sends Vasco da Gama into Rio Cup final - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: argentinians, boca juniors, coastal city, copa libertadores, corinthians, diego souza, ecuador, emelec, home victory, juan roman riquelme, mario regueiro, possession, quarter finals, rio de janeiro, s union, sao januario, second half, three minutes, time drive, vasco da gama