Valencia keeps David Villa after improving his contractAugust 28th, 2008 - 2:55 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Aug 28 (DPA) Spain striker David Villa finally negotiated a deal to improve his contract and stay at Valencia, as the club turned down an offer from Real Madrid.According to the new deal, Villa is set to stay at his current club until 2014, after prolonging his contract one year with a pay rise.
The forward’s agent Jose Luis Tamargo met Valencia officials early Wednesday and the deal was signed hours later.
Vicente Soriano, president of the troubled Spanish club, said Real Madrid had offered 40 million euros ($58.7 million) plus another player in exchange for Villa. Despite its current financial crisis, Valencia turned them down.
“I did not like Real Madrid’s approach,” Soriano complained.
Villa - one of the stars of the Spain team that lifted the trophy at the Euro 2008 - expressed his satisfaction for the deal.
“It is a very happy day for me. I thank Valencia for this gesture and for everything they have given me,” the striker said.
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Barcelona in 60 million-euro deal for Neymar - Jul 16, 2012
- Del Bosque hints at taking uncapped players to Euro 2012 - May 16, 2012
- Chinese club prepares huge offer for Kaka? - Jun 28, 2012
- Spanish coach to stay on till 2014 Football World Cup - Sep 08, 2011
- Barcelona striker Villa out of Euro 2012 - May 23, 2012
- Athletic Club confirm Ismael signing - Jun 26, 2012
- Del Bosque: Raul could go to Euro 2012 - Apr 14, 2012
- Valencia defender Alba signs agreement to join Barcelona - Mar 22, 2012
- Luis Fabiano's regret revealed - Mar 25, 2012
- Three Spanish sides in Europa League action - Mar 28, 2012
- After Europe, Spain now set to conquer the World (Group H team profile) - Jun 02, 2010
- Why is Cristiano sad despite winning? - Sep 03, 2012
- Bosque to name Spanish squad after May 25 - May 05, 2012