Vajpayee still in ICU, but stableFebruary 17th, 2009 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 17 (IANS) Former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, who is being treated for a chest infection at the premier All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here, is stable and showing signs of improvement, doctors said Tuesday.
“Vajpayee is in the ICU (intensive care unit). His condition is stable and improving. He is off the ventilator and his vital parameters like blood pressure level, liver and kidney are stable,” said AIIMS Medical Superintendent D.K. Sharma.
Vajpayee was taken off the ventilator Sunday. The octogenarian leader underwent a tracheotomy surgery for smoother airway management and was put on minimal ventilator support Saturday.
Tracheotomy is a surgical procedure in the neck to open a direct airway through an incision in the windpipe.
The veteran Bharatiya Janata Party leader was admitted to the hospital after he complained of difficulty in breathing Feb 3.
- Vajpayee's health improving, say doctors - Feb 16, 2009
- Vajpayee taken off ventilator, stable - Feb 15, 2009
- Vajpayee on minimal ventilator support, breathing on his own - Feb 14, 2009
- Vajpayee showing improvement, Gujral discharged - Feb 19, 2009
- Gradual improvement in Vajpayee's health - Feb 20, 2009
- Vajpayee likely to be discharged in next few days - Feb 26, 2009
- Vajpayee''s health improving, say AIIMS doctors - Feb 19, 2009
- Vajpayee''s health better - Feb 14, 2009
- Vajpayee''s health improving - Feb 18, 2009
- Vajpayee fully conscious and breathing on his own: AIIMS - Feb 15, 2009
- Vajpayee still in hospital, condition stable - Feb 09, 2009
- Vajpayee's condition serious - Feb 07, 2009
- Vajpayee undergoes health checkup - Aug 22, 2010
- Vajpayee still in ICU, but shows improvement - Feb 10, 2009
- Vajpayee showing steady improvement:AIIMS - Feb 23, 2009