Vaishno Devi pilgrimage suspended due to forest fireJune 23rd, 2012 - 3:16 am ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 23 (IANS): Pilgrimage to the Hindu shrine of Mata Vaishno Devi near Jammu was suspended late Friday due to a forest fire which spread over and reached near mid-point of the 12km trek from base camp Katra.
It stranded a large number of pilgrims going to and fro the shrine.
According to the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board (SMVDSB), the fire broke out in the evening in forests near Adhkunwari, six kilometres from the base camp Katra. It soon started escalating and reached close to the trek used by pilgrims.
“The pilgrimage was suspended immediately as precautionary measure for safety of the pilgrimage,” said a Shrine Board official.
There is a heavy rush of pilgrims visiting the famous shrine these days with about 40,000 arriving in Katra everyday from different parts of the country.
The official, however, could not specify about the exact number of pilgrims stranded. But the pilgrims were not allowed to move ahead both from base camp Katra and the main shrine nestled in Trikuta Hills at 5,200 feet height.
Such fire in pine forests are common in intense heat conditions which are triggered by the dry pine grass — highly inflammable.
“All the agencies have been pressed into service to douse the fire. Pilgrims’ movement will be allowed only when the fire gets under control,” said the official.
The shrine, dedicated to Goddess Durga, has three natural rock formation called “pindies”.
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage resumes after forest fire (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Record pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi - Dec 25, 2011
- Heavy rush of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - May 15, 2012
- Over five million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi till June - Jul 04, 2012
- Vaishno Devi shrine has record 10 million pilgrims - Dec 28, 2011
- Five killed in Jammu bus accident - Jun 09, 2012
- Record 10 million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi shrine (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Vaishno Devi Gurukul gets affiliated to Varanasi varsity - Sep 11, 2012
- Ban Ganga has little water for Vaishno Devi pilgrims - Apr 16, 2010
- Now, ropeway for pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - Sep 23, 2011
- Land slips on Vaishno Devi shrine route to be checked - Feb 12, 2011
- Over 100 Pakistani Hindus arrive for Vaishno Devi pilgrimage - Jun 10, 2009
- Court suspends mining near Vaishno Devi hills - Mar 21, 2012
- CCTVs installed in Vaishno Devi shrine - Jul 27, 2010
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
Tags: bj, exact number, forest fire, goddess durga, grass, heat conditions, heavy rush, hindu shrine, intense heat, june 23, kilometres, mid point, natural rock formation, pilgrimage, pilgrims, pine forests, precautionary measure, shri mata vaishno devi shrine board, trek, vaishno devi