Vacancies to be filled at Kolkata’s Presidency UniversityMay 26th, 2011 - 12:38 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 26 (IANS) All vacancies at the prestigious Presidency University - which has been accused of falling standards - will be filled up in the next three months, says West Bengal’s new Higher Education Minister Bratya Basu.
Basu told mediapersons that a mentor group for the varsity would be set up on the lines of the newly revived Nalanda International University in Bihar and this would be finalised by next Monday.
“We will form a mentor group on the lines of Nalanda university. I have to speak to the chief minister (Mamata Banerjee) on this. The names for the mentor group will be finalised by Monday,” Basu said Wednesday.
He said the government will start the process for filling up vacancies in the prestigious university from next week. “All the vacant posts will be filled up in the next three months.”
Last year, the former Left Front government had upgraded the 193-year-old Presidency College into a university.
The institution, with around 2,500 students, still churns out talent, but there has been lot of criticism about its falling standards due to politics in teacher recruitment and frequent student unrest.
The college’s alumni include Nobel laureate poet Rabindranath Tagore, social reformer Swami Vivekananda, freedom fighter Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, filmmaker Satyajit Ray, Marxist legend Jyoti Basu, economist Amartya Sen and scientist Satyendranath Bose.
The country’s first president, Rajendra Prasad, and former state chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee were also students of the college.
- Amartya Sen to be chief mentor of Presidency University - Jun 04, 2011
- Netaji's grand nephew to help revive Presidency - Jun 06, 2011
- New thinking needed to save Presidency, say experts - Jul 23, 2011
- Presidency varsity mentor group meets Mamata (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Presidency to hold election - Mar 05, 2012
- Presidency mentor group submits recommendations - Aug 25, 2011
- Amita Chattopadhyay joins as first vice chancellor of Presidency University - Nov 01, 2010
- Amita Chattopadhyay first vice chancellor of Presidency University - Oct 06, 2010
- Presidency University tagged innovation hub - Nov 29, 2011
- Fire breaks out at Kolkata's famous Presidency University - Oct 29, 2010
- Fire breaks out at Presidency University in Kolkata - Oct 29, 2010
- Presidency fire causes major damage (Second Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Fire in Presidency University causes extensive damage (Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Bill upgrading Presidency College to university passed - Mar 19, 2010
- Restoring lost glory of Presidency College won't be easy - Dec 06, 2009
Tags: banerjee, bhattacharjee, chief minister, education minister, freedom fighter, mentor group, nobel laureate, presidency college, prestigious university, rabindranath tagore, rajendra prasad, satyajit ray, satyendranath bose, social reformer, state chief, student unrest, subhas chandra bose, teacher recruitment, vacant posts, west bengal