Uttarakhand professor found murdered in Uttar PradeshApril 5th, 2011 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
Bareilly (Uttar Pradesh), April 5 (IANS) The body of an assistant professor posted in an Uttarakhand government hospital was found in a drain here, police said Tuesday, adding he may have been strangled to death.
Manish Kumar, 33, posted at Dr. Shushila Tiwari Memorial Hospital and Medical College in Uttarakhand’s Haldwani city, was found dead Monday in the Baradari area.
“Preliminary investigations indicate Manish Kumar was strangled to death,” Superintendent of Police (City) Atul Saxena told reporters Tuesday in Bareilly, some 200 km from Lucknow.
“Even as we are yet to ascertain the motive behind the crime, investigations rule out any possibility of loot behind the murder as cash and other valuables carried by the doctor have been found intact,” he added.
Police say Kumar had visited Bhimrao Ambedkar Medical College in Uttar Pradesh’s Kannauj district March 31 for some official work.
“The last time he spoke to his wife in Haldwani on telephone was April 1. The doctor told his wife he had boarded a bus and would soon leave Kannauj. After this, the doctor went missing,” said Saxena.
“We have initiated a joint enquiry with the Uttarakhand police. A team of Uttar Pradesh police would also leave for Uttarakhand to record the statement of officials of the medical college and the victim’s family and relatives,” he added.
- Man kills wife for selling taxi - Aug 28, 2012
- Dimple collects victory certificate, thanks voters - Jun 12, 2012
- Three of family murdered - Dec 01, 2011
- Train rooftop accident leaves 18 dead, blame game on (Lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- Man gets death sentence for raping, killing child - Oct 27, 2010
- Government doctor murdered, two detained - Feb 22, 2011
- Youth dies during run meant for railway recruitment - Apr 21, 2011
- Doctor arrested for selling corpses (Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Arunima shifted to AIIMS Trauma Centre - Apr 18, 2011
- Sports Minister Maken promises to bear medical expenses of Arunima - Apr 18, 2011
- CRPF trooper's wife found dead, dowry case filed - May 25, 2012
- Curfew on in riot-hit Bareilly, 200 arrested - Aug 13, 2012
- Youth hangs self at police station in UP; two suspended - May 01, 2012
- Man hammers two minor daughters to death in UP - Jun 09, 2012
- Three poachers held in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 06, 2011
Tags: april 1, assistant professor, atul, crime investigations, enquiry, government hospital, haldwani, kannauj, last time, loot, lucknow, medical college, memorial hospital, motive, relatives, saxena, superintendent, valuables