Uttar Pradesh to give free bags to schoolgirlsAugust 25th, 2008 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 25 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh has found another way to attract more girls to government-run schools - by distributing school bags free of cost.The government has earmarked Rs.130 million for the new scheme, officials said Monday.
“Initially, girls studying in Class 6 to Class 8 would be able to avail the scheme. Later, girls of Class 1 to Class 5 will also be included,” Rakesh Kumar, an official in the basic education department here, told IANS.
The programme aims to increase the enrolment of girls in schools, he said.
The state government is already providing free school uniforms and books to girls studying in Class 1 to Class 5, Kumar added.
Officials said that the new scheme would be implemented in the next academic session and over eight million girls across the state would benefit from it.
- MCD schools see rise in nursery students - Jan 14, 2012
- Free sanitary napkins for students in government schools - Nov 29, 2011
- In the name of Atal: Dhumal 'signs' in praise (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - May 12, 2012
- Himachal students to get uniform - Jan 01, 2012
- Himachal should promote use of biomass fuel: Gadkari - May 09, 2012
- Haryana school kids to get free uniforms - Apr 15, 2012
- They offer water and education to passersby - Apr 17, 2010
- Cycling to success, Bihar girl inspires documentary - Jun 09, 2010
- A key Bihar lesson - don't forget the private tuition! - Jan 22, 2012
- 70 schoolkids fall ill after being given iron tablets - Dec 03, 2010
- Dhumal announces sops on I-Day - Aug 15, 2012
- Maharashtra starts eliminating fake school students - Oct 03, 2011
- Karunanidhi welcomes apex court order on schools - Jul 21, 2011
- Bihar's cycle of development - now labourers to get bikes - Aug 19, 2011
- Good news from Kashmir: Education back on rail - Jan 29, 2012