Uttar Pradesh strongman’s brother held in PunjabJanuary 21st, 2009 - 10:39 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 21 (IANS) The Punjab police have arrested Dharamvir Singh, brother of Uttar Pradesh strongman and politician D.P. Yadav, for possession of fake currency notes, police officials said Wednesday.Singh was arrested by the police late Tuesday and remanded to police custody Wednesday to investigate his involvement in counterfeit currency racket, said R.N. Dhoke, senior superintendent of police of Punjab’s Ropar district.
Singh was stopped by officials at a toll plaza near Kiratpur town, 70 km from here, to pay toll. He gave a Rs. 500 note which was returned to him as it was a fake. He then gave a Rs.1,000 currency note to them. This too turned out to be a fake one, said the official.
Singh got into an argument with toll officials and even threatened them with a pistol and boasted of his political connections. The toll officials called the police. He was later arrested.
His Ford Endeavour SUV was also impounded by the police.
His search revealed that he was carrying counterfeit currency worth Rs.3,500.
Singh, an industrialist, has a unit in neighbouring Himachal Pradesh.
D.P. Yadav had a notorious track record in Uttar Pradesh’s Ghaziabad area before turning a politician. His son Vikas Yadav and nephew Vishal Yadav were last year convited for the murder of Nitish Katara and have been sentenced to life imprisonment.
- Man held with counterfeit currency - Nov 05, 2011
- Two held in Uttar Pradesh with fake currency notes - Oct 12, 2010
- Fake currency racket busted in Delhi, one held (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Man held for supplying fake notes from Bangladesh - Nov 05, 2010
- Counterfeit currency: Former defence official arrested - Jun 13, 2011
- Three held with Pakistan-made fake currency - Nov 25, 2010
- Man held in Lucknow with Rs.1 lakh in fake currency - Aug 27, 2011
- Nepali national held for ISI links - Jun 05, 2011
- Man held with fake notes - Jan 22, 2011
- Vikas Yadav wants four days leave from jail - Nov 09, 2011
- Three held in Punjab for circulating fake currency - Oct 30, 2010
- Five men arrested with fake notes - Sep 13, 2011
- Man held with fake currency in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 24, 2010
- Two held with fake currency notes - Oct 15, 2011
- Three held with fake currency worth Rs.1 lakh - Nov 18, 2011