Uttar Pradesh shivers as mercury plummetsDecember 19th, 2011 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 19 (IANS) With the day temperature dipping by as much as 10 degrees Celsius to this winter’s lowest, large parts of Uttar Pradesh were in the grip of a severe cold wave Monday.
A dense fog cover hid the sun for most part of the day, compelling people to stay indoors.
The maximum temperature took a plunge by 10 degrees below normal in several cities, and the mercury ranged between 5.3 and 18 degrees Celsius in the state.
According to the weather office, Lucknow recorded the lowest minimum temperature at 5.3 degrees, while the maximum stood at 13.2 degrees.
Bareilly recorded a maximum of 15.5 degrees, while the minimum stood at 7.8 degrees.
Among the other key cities in the grip of the biting chill were Gorakhpur (6.2 - 12 degrees), Varanasi (6.3 - 15.1 degrees), Allahabad (8.3 - 15.3 degrees), Agra (5.4 - 18.5 degrees), Meerut (5.5 - 18 degrees) and Kanpur (4.4 - 14.9 degrees).
The fog also disrupted rail, air and road transport. Night visibility Sunday was stated to be as low as 50 metres, which Monday morning rose to barely 200 metres.
Citing reasons for the dip in maximum temperature, state Meteorological Director J.P. Gupta said: “With the sun hidden behind the dense fog, temperature has come down drastically, but we are hoping that the fog would recede Tuesday.”
The sudden fall in temperature has led parents and children to seek early closure of schools for the winter vacation.
However, the chilly spell has brought good news for roadside tea-stalls as well sellers of woollen caps, gloves jackets and sweaters, who did brisk business.
- North India shivers, fog hits rail traffic (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2011
- 11 deaths in UP, Jharkhand toll 45 as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
- Winter onslaught continues, 11 deaths in UP, Jharkhand toll 45 (Intro Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
- Chilly day in Delhi, fog hits trains (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Thick fog envelops chilly Delhi, commuters hit - Jan 18, 2012
- North India reels under cold onslaught (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- Deaths, accidents as cold wave grips north India (Roundup) - Dec 19, 2011
- Winter chill continues in Delhi - Jan 07, 2011
- Chill tightens grip over north India, trains still fog-hit (Roundup) - Dec 23, 2011
- Chill continues in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 29, 2011
- Some respite from chill, train services still fog-hit (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2011
- Thick fog in Delhi disrupts road, train services (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Chilly day in Delhi, dense fog hits train traffic (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Dense fog in Punjab, Haryana - Jan 03, 2012
- Cold wave continues to grip north India - Jan 02, 2011
Tags: brisk business, celsius, chill, cold wave, dense fog, gupta, kanpur, lucknow, maximum temperature, mercury plummets, minimum temperature, monday morning, night visibility, parents and children, plunge, road transport, shivers, sweaters, weather office, winter vacation