Uttar Pradesh rivers in spateJuly 1st, 2011 - 2:49 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 1 (IANS) Heavy rains lashing most parts of Uttar Pradesh have led to several major rivers swelling, raising the threat of floods in various districts, officials said Friday.
Water levels in rivers like Ghagra, Saryu, Sharda, Mohani and Karnali have been witnessing a rising trend. However, they are still below their respective danger marks.
While Ghagra is in spate in Bahraich and Gonda districts, water level in Sharda and Saryu rivers is increasing in Lakhimpur Kheri and Faizabad districts, respectively.
“Taking into account the rise in the water level of Ghagra and from safety point of view, we have already started evacuating low-lying areas along the bank of the river. Local residents are being taken to safer places,” Bahraich District Magistrate Govind Raju N.S. told IANS on telephone.
Additional District Magistrate Lakhimpur Tulsi Ram said: “Though the situation is not alarming, we have started taking preemptive measures to avert any untoward incident.”
“We have already issued a warning to residents of several villages along the banks of the river to move to higher places,” he added.
Parts of Uttar Pradesh have been witnessing heavy rains since Wednesday. According to state met department here, such weather conditions would continue to prevail at least for the next 24 hours.
- Rains to slow, flooding rivers will recede - Jul 30, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh rivers in spate, situation alarming - Aug 25, 2010
- Rivers near danger mark in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 16, 2012
- Floods claim seven lives in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 20, 2009
- Seven UP rivers in spate - Aug 08, 2012
- Floods threaten large swathes of north India (Roundup) - Aug 25, 2010
- Flood alert sounded in 30 Uttar Pradesh districts - Jun 18, 2008
- Four kids killed in house collapse in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 26, 2010
- Hundreds of villages flooded in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 19, 2009
- Widespread rainfall in store for Uttar Pradesh - Aug 01, 2011
- Hubdreds of Uttar Pradesh villages flooded - Aug 02, 2011
- Alert in 32 Uttar Pradesh districts as floodwaters enter seven villages - Jun 19, 2008
- Uttar Pradesh heads for short, dry spell - Jul 23, 2011
- Floods kill 31 in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 12, 2009
- One dead in boat capsize (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
Tags: bahraich, banks of the river, danger marks, district magistrate, faizabad, floods, friday water, gonda, heavy rains, karnali, kheri, mohani, point of view, raju, rivers, spate, untoward incident, water level, water levels, weather conditions