Uttar Pradesh restricts gatherings in areas close to DelhiJune 7th, 2011 - 12:36 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 6 (IANS) In an obvious bid to pre-empt any move by yoga guru Baba Ramdev to stage a demonstration near Delhi, the Uttar Pradesh government late Monday evening
imposed prohibitory orders in all the districts close to the national capital.
Prohibitory orders were imposed in Ghaziabad, Noida, Meerut, Muzaffarnagar and Saharanpur under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code that restricts the assembly of five or more people.
The state government’s decision virtually plugged every possible route that Ramdev could take to enter Uttar Pradesh from his ashram in Uttarakhand’s Hardwar.
“Such decisions are necessarily taken at the local district level and the state government does not have any role to play in that,” said a senior official in the chief minister’s office to questions on the decision.
Ramdev Sunday made an attempt to drive down and stage a demonstration in Noida neighbouring Delhi, where his entry was had been banned for 15 days. He and his supporters protesting against corruption were evicted by Delhi Police from Ramlila Ground past midnight Saturday.
- Anti-graft movement will restart from Haridwar: Ramdev - Jun 06, 2011
- Will restart agitation from Haridwar: Ramdev (Third Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Prohibitory orders put question mark on Hazare's fast - Jun 05, 2011
- Ramdev was asked to leave, started protesting: Delhi Police (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Police cite threat to Ramdev to justify crackdown - Jun 17, 2011
- Sequence of events leading to Ramdev's detention - Jun 05, 2011
- Swabhiman Trust asked to respond to Delhi cops' view (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- No police permission yet, but Hazare's fast on (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Midnight swoop on Ramdev gives government nightmares (Intro Roundup) - Jun 05, 2011
- Police action arbitrary, Ramdev didn't cooperate: Supreme Court (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Protest in Ghaziabad against action on Ramdev - Jun 07, 2011
- Team Anna shifts protest venue to Rajghat - Jun 07, 2011
- Government warns Ramdev of action for 'building an army' remark - Jun 08, 2011
- I've forgiven government: Ramdev - Jun 07, 2011
- Fast hasn't ended, they wanted to kill me: Ramdev - Jun 05, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,