Uttar Pradesh records 42 staged shooutsApril 24th, 2012 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) With 42 cases, Uttar Pradesh recorded the highest number of alleged staged shootouts 2011-12 as a total of 194 such cases were registered in the country, the Lok Sabha was informed Tuesday.
Since 2009, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) also registered 426 cases of staged shootouts.
In a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh said that Uttar Pradesh was followed by Jharkhand with 20 cases of stages shootouts and Assam with 18.
A total of 194 fake encounter cases were registered in 2011-12 involving police, defence and central armed police forces.
While Uttar Pradesh has seen an increase in the number of cases, Manipur has witnessed a drastic drop.
In 2009-10, 30 cases were registered in Uttar Pradesh and the figure rose to 40 in 2010-11 and 42 in 2011-12. In Manipur, the figure dropped from 32 in 2009-10 to 12 in 2010-11 and to 6 in 2011-12.
Meanwhile, a total of 129 cases were registered in 2010-11 and 103 in 2009-10.
“Against 426 cases, 84 have been solved and the remaining 342 are unsolved. For expediting the unsolved cases, concerted efforts are made by NHRC for obtaining the inquest reports, post-mortem report etc. from the concerned state government,” said Singh.
- Human rights violations rise - May 08, 2012
- 56 percent drop in HIV infections since 2000 - Aug 24, 2012
- Nearly five lakh classrooms needed: Minister - Sep 03, 2011
- Himachal growth rate projected to dip to 7.6 percent - Mar 16, 2012
- Northeastern states lead service sector growth - Mar 15, 2012
- India Post mops up Rs.274,720 crore in 2011 - Nov 23, 2011
- Patna airport No.1 in passenger traffic growth - Feb 23, 2012
- 'Rs.14 crore disbursed to top sportspersons for training' - Sep 06, 2011
- CESC's consolidated net profit down 11 percent - Jun 13, 2012
- 'Child trafficking highest in Maharashtra' - Mar 14, 2012
- BSNL borrowed Rs.1,320.47 crore for capital expenditure - Apr 25, 2012
- Rs.11 crore unpaid by VIPS for flying in IAF planes - May 07, 2012
- Air travel service tax for Q1 at Rs.231.5 crore - Aug 10, 2011
- Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam's Q1 profit up 20 percent - Jul 15, 2011
- Rs.5,434.5 crore FDI in telecom sector - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: april 24, armed police, assam, concerted efforts, drastic drop, encounter, human rights commission, inquest, jharkhand, jitendra, Lok Sabha, minister of state, national human rights, national human rights commission, New Delhi, nhrc, police forces, post mortem report, state government, unsolved cases