Uttar Pradesh prepares for Kumbh in HaridwarNovember 20th, 2009 - 3:28 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 20 (IANS) Gearing up for the Kumbh Mela, one of the largest religious gatherings in the world, beginning January in Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh will set up makeshift rest-halts along road routes in several districts for the convenience of the pilgrims, officials said Friday.
The makeshift rest-halts, to be set up by the Uttar Pradesh Transport Department, will have eating joints, drinking water facilities, proper sitting arrangements and other basic facilities for people visiting the holy event in Uttarakhand’s Haridwar district.
The work for setting up the makeshift halts, that would also have adequate parking facilities, has been entrusted to district magistrates.
The makeshift halts are to come up in a number of districts including Bijnor, Rampur, Bareilly, Saharanpur, Moradabad and Pilibhit.
“We have been directed to ensure that pilgrims do not face any kind of difficulty related to basic facilities,” Bijnor district magistrate Sanyukta Samatdar told IANS.
“As per the instructions related to Kumbh preparations, we have already identified two locations for setting up the makeshift halts, equipped with basic amenities. Moreover, at the two places a total of nearly 200 buses can also be parked,” she added.
The Kumbh Mela is scheduled to start Jan 14 on the occasion of Makar Sankranti, considered an auspicious day on the Hindu calendar, and is expected to see an influx of 15 million pilgrims - many of whom will come from distant lands.
- Tens of thousands throng the Ganges (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Over two lakh devotees assemble for Gangasagar fair - Jan 14, 2012
- Sea of humanity floods Haridwar for Maha Kumbh (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- Pilgrims not to pay tax at fair: Mamata - Oct 20, 2011
- Sea of humanity in Haridwar for Maha Kumbh Jan 14 (Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- On-line power bill payment starts in west Uttar Pradesh - Jan 17, 2011
- Karauli Mela, Braj region's very own Kumbh - Mar 21, 2012
- UP government rolls out 133 ambulances - Sep 14, 2012
- Vrindavan eco-activists launch Save Yamuna campaign - Dec 26, 2009
- 60 constituencies in final phase of UP polls - Mar 02, 2012
- Pilgrims' progress begins to Rajasthan's Kumbh Mela - Apr 11, 2011
- Sea of humanity gathers for start of Maha Kumbh - Jan 13, 2010
- Three lakh take holy dip at Gangasagar, cold kills two (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Hundreds of thousands vote in UP (Third Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Four Haryana devotees die as car plunges into canal - Sep 06, 2011